Is it really a money saver?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There are ways of utilizing solar heat that don't cost a lot. Types of construction, utilizing the direction of the sun in winter, preheating water with the sun before it hits the hot water tank....the possibilities are numerous. As far as producing energy, I believe its a little cheaper to have a grid-backed system than a battery back-up. Also, some states have big tax breaks for folks who invest in alternative energy systems.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Colored Egg Farmer said:
I have looked at the bp website on solar they are quite good and give estimates.
What is the sites address? Thank you

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
As far as producing energy, I believe its a little cheaper to have a grid-backed system than a battery back-up.
I think you are spot on. This also gives you better reliability. If you get a week of storms those batteries may not get charged.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have read, but can't find any sources to back that up tight now, but .....I believe solar is virtually maintenance free. Wind turbines do require maintenance.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
ticks said:
solar works even at night right?
No, that is why you need either to be connected to the grid (you supply power during the day but use grid power at night) or have a honkin' big bank o' batteries to store the electricity that is generated during daytime :)

Pat