Is it really a money saver?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yes, same as if you had a solar-powered light in your shed, or a solar-powered fence charger, or anything like that :)

Pat

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I have seen and been on something called the solar bus. It has a huge battery pack in it. (BTW, it is a bus that runs on solar.)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Solar needs to be more residential friendly. I looked into it also...price is rough, and there is a savings, BUT remember you need to be living there LONG term to get the benefits. And yes solar does cost maintenance money. Nothing lasts, and things need to be replaced and the battery packs required are super expensive. (As with anything, money, money, money)--LOL

Put the savings of your lifetime against the costs. You can cut back on your home elec. and still be better than the intitial investment and savings.

BUT if you have the disposal money to do this, you are making a huge help to the environment.

At this point I can not justify the cost concerning my life. (I may be moving and building a house on my other land) and a new homeowner might not want solar let alone me recoup...so....LOL

just always think ahead on technology. Cause maybe just adding extra insulation to the roof, adding an attic fan, new improved storm windows all might be good places to put that money and save.

Just throwing out thoughts on this...take care
Karen

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There are many types of systems. Are they looking into grid-tie? What type of cells are they considering?

Also, are they considering supplying all of their needs with it, or just supplementing?

If you are connected to the power company, it may be that they will buy your extra.

Yes, you will want batteries if you aren't connected to a utility company. That might be marine/deep cycle batteries, or actual battery banks made for the purpose. If you use a hybrid system, say generator and solar cells, then the batteries serve both the cells, and the generator.

No matter what, if they tie into a power company, they need someone to make sure that it's done in such a manner to protect linemen during power outtages, and such. (Isolation, no feedback.)

So first, we need to know how much of their power they want to produce via cells. Then we need to know if this will be connected to a utility company, or not. If they want a hybrid system with a generator back-up. And what type of cells they are considering. (There are panels, the kind you roll onto the roof, etc.)

Let us know. :)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Tutter said:
There are many types of systems. Are they looking into grid-tie? What type of cells are they considering?

Also, are they considering supplying all of their needs with it, or just supplementing?

If you are connected to the power company, it may be that they will buy your extra.

Yes, you will want batteries if you aren't connected to a utility company. That might be marine/deep cycle batteries, or actual battery banks made for the purpose. If you use a hybrid system, say generator and solar cells, then the batteries serve both the cells, and the generator.

No matter what, if they tie into a power company, they need someone to make sure that it's done in such a manner to protect linemen during power outtages, and such. (Isolation, no feedback.)

So first, we need to know how much of their power they want to produce via cells. Then we need to know if this will be connected to a utility company, or not. If they want a hybrid system with a generator back-up. And what type of cells they are considering. (There are panels, the kind you roll onto the roof, etc.)

Let us know. :)
Thanks

MyBackAchers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
It depends-

If they are planning on using solar to run an air conditioner - then NO. But if they are planning on putting in a solar attic fan to reduce running the AC- then yes.

All solar works best as an "integrated system".

Meaning - if you have heat (like in the roof) and use solar fans to move that heat to where you can use it or store to use it later- then it adds efficiency. Or like the side wall panels that collect heat and move air into the house - that works. Or, if you use it to dry your food, heat your water, cool your attic, charge batteries so you can get online and get business done, or you do passive heat and need to hydronically move the heat to where you can use it - all good money spent. The system is integrated into making use of another source of energy (usually heat).

But if they are going to "live" off the energy and plan on storing the energy for when they want to use it - then they need to first totally re-think how they live. A toaster on a cloudy day could mean trouble for people who don't understand the "re-thinking" that comes before the installation. and no amount of panels will fill their need.

From our "re-think" experience - things like refrigerators, washing machines and freezers are big energy suckers. Think back to root cellars and re-think to use what's available and modify to fit your need (placement near a kitchen door for access or getting huge blocks frozen during winter to keep things cold till next year's freeze). Washers - clothes and dishes - re-think and you'll find a $8,000 system can be filled by a $2,000 or less one if done properly.

That's been my observation from the beginning but I still find people who want to "don't change the way they are living" and find they are very disappointed when everything doesn't perform the way it used to when they were connected.

MyBackAchers.com
A Dog's Paradise is No Less a Paradise.

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Where I live solar panels aren't cost effective. It takes over 20yrs to break even. Our electricity is rather cheap and it gets dark by 4:30pm in the winter. Solar hot water heaters are supposed to be great. They pay for themselves after only 5yrs.

Check out Home Power magazine. It has lots of info. http://www.homepower.com/home/

smom1976

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
on the backyardchickens forum.. the parsons wife had one of her articles published in a mag.. well anyway after I read her article I started looking around that mag site.. and they had an article about actually "printing" solar pannels on some type of foil. About the thickness of paper.. anway as it turns out it is about the cost of $1 a watt. That is pretty good..

Hopefully this will work. They are still in trials aparently the way sun bleaches things is a problem with how long solar pannels last.