Is Our Economy Going To Crash?

Is our economy going to crash?

• It is going to crash hard, all at once.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • It will be a slow gradual decline.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is crashing now and is already in decline.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • My personal economy already has crashed.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • My personal econony ain't doing so hot.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • We will have a depression worse then the 1930's

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Our econony is wonderful.

• There will be no crash, how ridiculous!

• My personal economy has never been better!

• There will be no depression.

• Total voters

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If they find you and you have extra, then share. If they find you, and you don't have extra, defend what you have. For me it is quite simple as far as that is concerned. Both of us have Masters Degrees but have long since paid them off, but I sometimes wish I had never gone that route and had done what was in my heart, not what everyone was telling me I had to do to "survive". I trusted those who were my "mentors", but now see they did not think for themselves; they just advised what was the mainstream thinking at the time. Can't fault them and don't hold grudges towards them. If I had to do it over, and knew what I know now, things would have been very different for me. But how many times have you heard this story?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had to retire to be able to play on my farm. Actually, I call it retirement, but I quit my job in March 2012 to care for my Mom because she had a stroke and had to move in with us. She died last year on Father's Day. My husband retired when we moved here February 2015. We work hard, but we love what we're doing. We get hot, soaked with sweat, caked with dirt and exhausted. Life is good.

I don't want a hard crash, but a crash is inevitable. We can't continue on this way. I posted a very lengthy read about Petro Dollars, which will heavily contribute to the collapse of our economy and may lead to hyper inflation, but it looks like no one is reading it. It is several articles that lays it all out and if you didn't understand how things worked before, you will after you read this. We could very well be pushing a wheelbarrow of money to buy a loaf of bread--or just make our own :lol: but you get the picture.

http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/collapse-of-the-petrodollar.15010/

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey @baymule...

"We work hard, but we love what we're doing. We get hot, soaked with sweat, caked with dirt and exhausted. Life is good.". Can you ask for anything more? I love it!!!!

"I posted a very lengthy read about Petro Dollars" I saw it, but it will take time for me to go through it. I will reply; you can be assured of that.

I have often said our golden years will be anything but "golden" by today's standards, but by creating the lifestyle we want, we will be quite content no matter what the world brings to our doorstep.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I will also be reading it... But I can't do it until a night exists where my 3 year old goes to bed and I have any brain function left.

Same with me my masters degree hasn't done much for me. I worked in my field (education) for 4 years and couldn't take it any more. I learned one thing, I don't want my daughter in public school. My husband, who has no degree, is far beyond capable of doing anything on a farm. He can build anything, fix any engine, butcher any animal, he knows how to garden... And has no debt. Let's just say I have better advice for my daughter.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Both of us were in education, on the high school level. I taught for 27 years. My SO has been teaching for 38 years and plans to leave in 2 years. We both taught in Catholic schools. Much less pay than public schools, and terrible pensions. We both went to college because we were told "if you don't go to college, you will never succeed." My friends who didn't go into college, but went into trades, made much more money, are already retired, and have much less debt than we do. Not complaining...just wish I hadn't bought that "bill of goods", and grateful that I changed my thinking before it was too late.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah yes. I taught elementary and middle school, special education. Loved the kids. Hated the politics, paperwork, etc. I wanted to go get an associates degree in a medical field. Should have. Oh well...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Daughter and her husband are both teachers with the expected debt load. They both love teaching, it is their calling. Daughter has 2 Masters and has started on PHD. Son is licensed to operate 7 different cranes, works all over the place and makes major $$$. He finally broke down and bought a brand new F350 4WD in January and had it paid off by June. He worked crappy jobs, on the bottom of the pile until her had a chance to get schooled (company paid for it) for cranes.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love kids. And I love teaching. I do not love teaching in a school. I like teaching on the farm, in museums, in the woods, on a bus, haha anywhere not at desks. I primarily worked with kids with autism. Loved teaching life skills. I've always wanted to open a farm school.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had no college -- wanted to be a vet but, made the "get married" decision, popular at that time. Always wanted a farm. I have had one somewhere for last 50 years. It's a lot of work, most days I love it! I'm retired -- work PT still - I like to earn to reduce the draw on my retirement income. It is a goal to me NOT working PT but, I see that about 2 yrs off. Need to refine my own self-sufficiency a little first, regarding my animal feed needs mostly -- and finish paying off my tractor! LOVE my tractor. :p Big investment which I knew was needed to reach my goals.

Like most of you, prefer no boss, just my farm & own schedules. (Actually best part of my current PT work is that I can set my schedules within certain dates. Nice)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ahh... I dream of having a tractor! Haha. Well our house will be paid off in 6 years (10 year mortgage, yes!) so then we may be able to buy things like tractors. And boy could we use one!