It is so cold here today that they cancelled the school buses

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Brrr...-32 without the windchill. Any exposed skin will be frostbitten in minutes...they've cancelled school and my truck won't turn over no matter how hard I try. I'm stranded...well looks like a housecleaning day in the making...and I better keep that fire burning hot!
I'm worried about Lupin, she lives not too far away and has no heating oil and pipes are frozen...Lupin, you okay???

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
-32...sheesh....I guess I'm gonna have to regret being such a namby-pamby about it being 16 here in the Mid-Atlantic.

You and Lupin hang in....sending warm thoughts....

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh, man, no oil in those temps? They must be doing wood heat?? Those temps are killer, I hope you guys are ok up there! It's supposed to be below zero Thursday and Friday nights, with wind, nothing as bad as up there but cold enough
freezing.gif

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh man that is just brutal!
I couldn't live there...I wouldn't survive or I would go crazy. I need heat....we are 29 today and sunny. not bad really....but I am froze!

stay warm people.

yea lupin did get some oil she said, not much......I hope she is OK also. and she had a frozen pump too.

whew....no time to kid around in those temps at all....they can be deadly.

Morel--you ever think of getting that "plug in" thing for your vehicle. Keeps it warm so it cranks....I think they are cheap and easy to use. My friend had one in PA when it got real cold her Blazer wouldn't turn over...so she got one and she never had a problem since.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes, they're called blcok heaters...they keep the oil warm enough to move. I think everyone in Canada has one...my jeep must have been imported from the south somewhere...I bought it used and it doesn't have one. I'm thinking I'm going to go out there and shove an ultravoilet heat lamp under the truck and try to heat it up a little.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I have no clue what the temps are here. I have no clue if they had school I stayed up all night feeding the fire, went to bed at 6 am and just got up at 9 am.

Really am so tired and just too pooped to poop. :p

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My son is waiting for it to warm up to -26 so he can go snowmobiling...northern kids are never bothered by the cold, just thier parents are:>)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea kids can adapt well.....I was a snow bunny when young....NOT NOW I am not! :)

Quail--that is rough. So cold you had to keep that fire going...UGH

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
We got down to -33 C (-27 F) last night, which was an annoying surprise since I will swear the forecast was only for -22 C :/

Both cars started ok (if slowwwllyy) despite no block heater. But my parking brake was frozen on, and I didn't realize it, and I drove to town that way and literally toasted it :( Got a ride home, car is now at mechanics, and for how hot the rotor got I cannot believe it will not need a new rotor. Ka-ching.

Horses are grumpy but fine; chickens are toasty (their building is still about +22 F... not from heat, it's just big and concrete-floored and rilly well insulated).

Next two nights may be colder. As long as the furnace can keep up we should be fine. Knock wood.

I really never want to live anywhere *colder* than this, though. (Actually it got this cold one year when I lived in SW Ohio, so it is not like you have to be way north to get this :p)

Pat

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pat,

I thought I saw you were originally from Philly. How did you wind up in Canada?

Inchworm