It is so cold here today that they cancelled the school buses

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No school for us!!!! :weee :woot
Ambient temp -15, windchill -30.

Not as bad as some of you, but still pretty cold.

Everyone home today - enjoy your day "off". :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gosh I can't go there with ya'll in those types of temps. I would freeze my buns off and die....seriously.

I am like Cassandra. I have hardly any winter clothes truly. Today I took Nicole to pre-school and had on a denim shirt and a long sleeve T-shirt underneath...temp was 29 this morning. I can just about handle that..LOL

We have been lucky. Our January has been kind...started int he 60s and has not dipped alot. In the high 30s low 40s as highs now but that is doable......whew....you guys.....hang in there!!!!!

ALSO---just a thought.
ANYONE breeding animals, plan your births for good weather. I saw over on BYC that people are kidding goats out in -41 degree weather.

While I know we can't always control it....might be bought bred already, "accidents" happen..LOL...etc.......but common sense says don't let kids or anything be born in -40 deg. temps ya know.

So if you farm...KNOW your weather!

Just a thought I can throw out on the board! :)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No kidding! Wow, as much as I would love to let my silkie sit on aggs...and she wants to...I wouldn't dare...even with heat lamps and everything! It would be way to cold. Birthing in -40 is just too hard on any animal. Around here i wouldn't let any animals birth until at least the beginning of April

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea critters mean responsibility....like kidding out or having pups or anything in decent weather. If we can control that we should....farmers know their cycles. I know when to plant, breed, do this and do that. I follow the seasons. We all need to know that.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
That's why I'm glad Nan had Nugget in October! I was not happy when the people who sold her to us had her bred for a fall kidding.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
depending on when fall and winter come and how hard they hit, FALL and early winter is the best kidding time actually. Spring and summer is not great on raising new kids. My kids do so much better being born in the "kinda" cold and grow faster in winter than summer. Summer is hard on baby kids actually. More bacteria and viral stuff going around. My summer kids have done far worse than my winter kids. Cold weather actually helps baby animals survive better in a way. BUT this is when we can control the situation....in nature they kid out to follow the grasses and such.

make sense..LOL

let me rephrase that...LOL

kids don't do well in hot weather. kids born in hot weather do far worse than colder weather kiddings.........being in NC I never do summer kiddings. It gets super hot here. I might do a super late winter/super early spring kidding cause my climate works well for that. In NC I plan kid outs for January kidding cause I can...While most people would not do this, my weather can handle it.

I need 2 kiddings per year to be in business and afford to keep them.

It means planning it right for my weather in NC.

So Quail you being in Ohio and you get some rough weather, just plan your kids around it.

whew....ya'll I am confusing myself..HA HA HA

you know what I mean...LOL

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Some people just have no common sense...and I bet the ones who are kidding goats right now are the same type sho need to run heaters and baby monitors in the chicken coop full time:>) LOL!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes morel
I was on byc for a bit and had to leave again. I can't take those posts..LOL...not my kind of way to handle livestock...but they do extraordinary things over there with their coops and such..LOL

Can you believe one person posted to the lady kidding out in -41 deg. weather......to induce early labor in the goat so she wouldn't have to run to the barn at night in cold weather. What is up with that. Uhhh...can we say lets just kill the premature kids or something???LOL
scary.

Unless you know the exact date of conception....inducing is insane!

and all because he might get cold at night taking care of his animals...I had to bite my tongue and not post to that one....LOL

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's 16F out there right now and supposed to go below zero tonight and tomorrow night. The wind is biting, it'll be far worse tomorrow. I've got a salad of greens and other veggies all chopped up (I get the out of date stuff from the health food store, they save it for me) to bring out to them, then tomorrow morning I'm going to bring them out some hot mash. We've also got a remote thermometer we're going to put out there, this should be interesting.....