It is so cold here today that they cancelled the school buses

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
After living various places (NC, OH, NJ, W NY) I met a guy on a horse-related listserv -- actually we were just vague online acquaintances for some years, and don't remember what year we first met in person, did not start actually dating for a long time :p) and he just happened to be Canadian.

(When he used to drive down from Toronto to just west of Rochester NY to visit me, one time the border guard asked him, "So, why is your girlfriend American?" Uh, what kind of answer cn you possibly give to THAT :p)

So, I moved up here and got married and here I am.

It actually snows less here than where I lived in NY state, and we still have not much surpassed the cold temps of that one year in Ohio. Go figure :)

Pat, who only really misses Pennsylvania from about February to April, when my parents keep telling me what all is coming up and blooming while we still have snow or just bare ground :p

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I interviewed for grad school in Buffalo the same weekend I interviewed in Wilmington, Delaware (many moons ago). It was mid to late April. When I left Buffalo in a rattle trap VW camper (with no heat, of course), the window was howling and it dropped close to two feet of blinding snow as I crossed the mountains (no defroster). What a miserable drive I will never forget. I woke up in DE the next morning to warm sunshine, daffodils, and goslings on a lake. I didn't get in to either grad program that year, but the next, I didn't even bother applying again to Buffalo! You have to be sturdy stock to live there! My hat off to you all.

Inchy

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I went to college in Newark DE, and I totally understand your decision LOL

Woo hoo, it is up to -18 C (0 F) now! I think that's our high for the day.

Pat

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Brrrrrrr. I'm cold just reading this thread. I'm a big baby about the cold. My hat's off to you gals for living there AND being able to get out of bed in the morning.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
It is COLD here too! Well, not as cold as Morel but cold none the less! My BFF just said it is supposed to be -7F here today!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is unfathomable to me! :ep

But it looks like we are having our winter right now, too. (And we only get it for a few days at a time.) I only just now checked the extended forecast and we are having lows below freezing for the next several days. That happens so rarely.

I know that doesn't seem like very cold to you all, but here in the land of no parkas and no block heaters, it is pretty cold!

I don't even own any winter clothes. I have a coat for in case it gets cold. Looks like I will be wearing it tomorrow.

Cassandra

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I hav a friend that moved here from the tropics a few years ago. She is so funny...she said when September came everybody started talking about putting away thier "summer" clothes and taking out the "winter" ones. She had no idea what we were all talking about...she learned quick though:>) She had no idea anything could get so cold! :gig

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's it exactly, Morel!

Several years ago, my parents went north for the first time (dad doing construction work) and they came back eleven months later with these plastic totes full of "winter" clothes. And you can only fit like two insulated coveralls in a very big tote!

My dad is a petit gent. Mother can tell the funniest stories about dad getting dressed in the morning wearing, insulated underwear covered with jeans, covered with sweatpants, stuffed into an insulated jumper, and leaving the house looking like the Micheline man.

Then, having to peel himself out of it when he got home.

Hmm... begs the question about potty breaks, doesn't it?

Cassandra

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
That's it exactly, Morel!

Several years ago, my parents went north for the first time (dad doing construction work) and they came back eleven months later with these plastic totes full of "winter" clothes. And you can only fit like two insulated coveralls in a very big tote!

My dad is a petit gent. Mother can tell the funniest stories about dad getting dressed in the morning wearing, insulated underwear covered with jeans, covered with sweatpants, stuffed into an insulated jumper, and leaving the house looking like the Micheline man.

Then, having to peel himself out of it when he got home.

Hmm... begs the question about potty breaks, doesn't it?

Cassandra
Mens winter clothing all comes with 'fly's" in the front so it is pretty easy for them...us women though we have it a little rougher...and it you're ever out on the trails and you suddenly have to pee, be sure to get all that extra clothing out of the way...been there...man it's cold when your winter gear is wet!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
School's cancelled here today and my boy is doing the bunny dance....

:bun :bun :bun :bun :weee :celebrate :ya :clap

:rolleyes: