It's a girl!!! pics-Update-AND ANOTHER GIRL!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok, the horses are beautiful.. I am not real partial to horses they scare me to death. Maybe just cause I know nothing about them.. But congratulations anyways!!! :)

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Farmerlor, I just noticed something - my hubby's name is Greg, also :)

Please, what does PMU mean?
You know the drug Premarin? It comes from PREgnant MARe urINe or PMUs. They get horses (preferably drafts-big horses, big urine) pregnant and collect the urine from which they distill the hormone that they use for menopausal women. The problem is that eventually the mare gives birth to a draft horse which few if any people want so they end up going to slaughter. I once saw a video of a 7 month old bay filly being slaughtered while she was still quite alive and aware and that was the impetus that I needed to go out and save just ONE. Oddly, the filly that my PMU mare gave birth to shortly after we rescued her was a bay filly who now excels in various dressage competitions.
Needless to say, when my doctor suggested I use Premarin for my menopause I gave her an earful.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
And the PMU mares spend their lives in standing stalls, catheterized. Often their babies are taken pretty quick so the mares can get preggers again and continue producing urine.....even bred on the foal heat at nine days postpartum.

Some more responsible (hmph) farmers are breeding to better stallions to make some marketable babies. But they are still gigantic horses, which is unfortunate, because most people are looking for something more typical in a riding horse.

It is a crime, on a similar scale to this countries chicken farms and CAFO's. How such cruelty still exists in this day and age is just disgusting.

Yay for you for rescuing one!!! And spreading the word. Beautiful babies, too. Love their blocky heads and pointy butts at that age, and little bottle-brush tails! I love it when they reach the itchy stage, too!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ugh, that's horrible. I'm so happy you could rescue her, but I do wish that whole industry didn't exist. Awful. I'm sorry I asked - but I need to know this stuff, as does everyone. I could go off on my own little menopause rant but I won't......

She's a lucky girl, that you found her!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Ugh, that's horrible. I'm so happy you could rescue her, but I do wish that whole industry didn't exist. Awful. I'm sorry I asked - but I need to know this stuff, as does everyone. I could go off on my own little menopause rant but I won't......

She's a lucky girl, that you found her!
Hey, I know that rant! I absolutely abhor the way the medical industry (and yes, it's big business) makes menopause some kind of disease that needs to be treated with all kinds of pills and drugs.
But I will step down off that box now.....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I've been away these last few days, so here is a belated CONGRADULATIONS!!!! They are all beautiful!

I didn't know the draft was a PMU rescue. Good for you! All 3 of my horses were rescued...not PMU but other.

I am a certified farrier (non practicing since I had my daughter) but when I took the training we practiced on mares in the same prediciment in Texas near Weatherford. Their urine was used for something a bit different...to make an anitvenom for rattle snake bites. I don't know if they still do that anymore. I took the training back in 1996. I was horified. This was before anyone knew about Premerin aka PREgnant MarE urRINe.

But it was the same thing, hooked up to catheters, jailed forever in a 12X12 foot box stall and kept pregnant. When the babies came, well, it was brutal to say the least. I had no idea this was happening.

I have been an advocate for horses rights ever since.

Sorry to get off the subject.

I am yearning for a baby, so is my sweet mare. She was abused so badly in the past that she is incapable of having any babies. She would be stalking your mares right now to covet those babies. She even begins to lactate when another mare gives birth!

I am so envious! But I am soooo happy for you and those beautiful horsie mamas!:D I cant wait to see more photos farmerlor!!!! Again, there should be a backyardhorses out there for us!!

I love leopard apps! There is one down the street named "Dotty".:)

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have to tell you that you are a hero to me, Farmerlor. You took a stand and saved lives....you HAVE made a difference. I was an Admin on a horse rescue board for several years, but haven't been there much the last year. (I had to take a break because I was becoming so depressed.) As a group we primarily rescued slaughterbound horses from several feedlots- two in Washington state and 1 in Colorado. We kept hundreds of horses from being inhumanely slaughtered. We also help local rescues and sometimes pull horses off of Craigslist, etc...some folks also go to livestock auctions and try to outbid the meatmen.

There is such need in the world, and most people don't even know....

Thank you for saving Fiona and her babies...

Leanne

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cybercat said:
I have to tell you that you are a hero to me, Farmerlor. You took a stand and saved lives....you HAVE made a difference. I was an Admin on a horse rescue board for several years, but haven't been there much the last year. (I had to take a break because I was becoming so depressed.) As a group we primarily rescued slaughterbound horses from several feedlots- two in Washington state and 1 in Colorado. We kept hundreds of horses from being inhumanely slaughtered. We also help local rescues and sometimes pull horses off of Craigslist, etc...some folks also go to livestock auctions and try to outbid the meatmen.

There is such need in the world, and most people don't even know....

Thank you for saving Fiona and her babies...

Leanne
Aw, thanks so much. I had to quit my horse rescue groups too. The sad stories and emergency situations that I just don't have the money, land or time to help with were just agonizing for me. I still keep in touch with the wonderful lady who bought the filly that Fiona had shortly after she arrived here and everytime I see a video of that beautiful girl dancing to dressage moves I think of how very easily she could have ended up as a steak on someone's plate.