It's back

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Mom and Dad always said, if you don't have the cash then and there, you don't buy it.
Same lesson from my mom and dad.
Now that I know how layaway works I probably wouldn't use it. I always pay cash or skip it. A couple years ago I was buying some fairly expensive (for me anyway) furniture that I had saved up for. The salesman was pretty surprised when I got out my checkbook.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's it poppycat. I grew up like that...don't spend what you don't have. Cause still if on layaway nothing says you can make the payment for it later I guess.

But for some I am sure it works great!!

Whenever I pay big money for something in cash the salesmen are amazed. I bought a Kabota tractor and the salesman said how do you want to finance it, nope, I whipiped out the checkbook too and said I better be getting a cash discount, and I did...LOL

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We amazed the car salesman when we bought our last ,new to us , used car ( van actually, we have 5 kids thus a car won't hold us all ). The car lot has its own financing. I ask the man what's the cash price and he repeats for me what the sticker says 7,000 something, this much down , this month a month. I said nooooooo actual cash money , as in I pay you in full now , not come back every month to make a payment and you and I never see each other again. " Oh " he says "cash , well that'd be 4200 plus tax ". I said okay , I'm running to the bank to get you a cashier's check , I'll be right back. I swear his mouth was wide open. Salesman aren't used to people who don't use credit to buy stuff they don't have the money for.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Sweetcorn
doesn't it feel good to stump the salesman,,,what? Cash...what is that..LOL

good savings on that vehicle!!!

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
our wal mart still does the lay away. come the holidays there are 5 or 6 large trailers full of CHRISTmas gifts.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw a commercial for Kmart advertising Layaway, and thought the same thing: things must be tough if they're bringing that back. I was raised that credit cards were BAD, and that I should never have a balance on them. My parents use credit for all of their purchases, but they pay it off every month, so that they can get the cash back, points, whatever, that the credit card company gives. Anyway, something happened to me in college, and I ended up racking up a ton of credit card debt. When I met my dh, he said that I needed to get my cc bills paid off before we could get married. Lo & behold, about 2 months after I paid them off, he popped the question!

Anyway, now we're strictly cash-only. We're rehabbing our house, and every repair has been paid in cash. Makes for pretty slow going, but it's nice not to be paying another loan on top of our house payment. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Makes for pretty slow going, but it's nice not to be paying another loan on top of our house payment.

****yea it makes for slow going but life ain't a race. we get it all done eventually, and best to do the fixes etc. in cash, so when it is done you ain't paying for the rest of your life, literally.

I hear ya. Go cash! :)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohhhhmugosh, we're trying to rehab our house, too, cash only. And sometimes it's so disheartening. But we are determined.

Right now, we are saving up for a range. (All the appliances that came with the house are fifteen years old now. The dishwasher was the first to go.) I haven't had an oven for a couple of months now. And while I have been doing fine without it. Sometimes you just want something baked, you know? I want to make zucchini bread! We are about half way there saving up for an oven.

We really need to save up for a new roof, (and new plumbing) but these other little urgent things keep popping up that need to be taken care of.

Cassandra