It's back

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I absolutly love layaway for Christmas. For a couple of reasons: 1. I can get all my shopping done in one day for my kids & not have to have all the money then & there(you put the payment into the budget) & no interest charged for it. 2. I can "hide" the gifts at the store instead of trying to hide them at home for a longer period of time.
Our Walmart did away with it but dh heard they may be bringing it back this yr as last yrs revenues were way done. Now our Kmart never got rid of theirs & did an amazing amount last yr in layaway. In fact I will be going to do my Christmas layaway in the first week of Nov.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey HM
you sure have a foolproof layaway system working for you! you made the most out of it for convenience etc. smart! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cassandra
I hear you on the remodel etc. My home is now 15 years old and I was getting ready for a new roof. The NC sun kills the shingles and I was fortunate. We had a monster hail storm and it beat up the shingles terrible, the black grit was raining off them....best part, property insuarnce paid for a new roof...price $500 deductible. You know I was smiling...I couldn't have planned that storm any better..HA HA HA

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The remodel is a touchy subject with me! We were *supposed* to get new siding this summer, courtesy of DH. But then he got involved in rehabbing a house with a buddy b/c it would be a 'quick' way to make money. That house is still on the market, of course. Now it's looking like spring before that happens - and it better, or I think I'm going to have to kill him.... :lol: It is the LAST thing that needs to be done before the outside is FINISHED!! I can't wait! That's been the hardest thing about this process. 1) I am NOT a patient person, and 2) I hate projects that are in process, and this house has been is one giant work-in-progress.

The funny thing is, I get the feeling that my no-debt parents think I'm insane for having lived in a house in this condition for this long. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My mom used layaway all my life growing up so I guess I just always thought it was a great thing. I did the majority of my Christmas shopping last yr at Kmart because Walmart did not have layaway. I only got a few things(small items) from there & stocking stuffers. So I know they lost a few hundred dollars from our family last yr.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We used to always use layaway, but only at Christmas. It was easy, oh plus I used to work at Walmart, so DH and I would know what we wanted for the kiddos for the holidays. I got a 10% discount working there and it was sooo easy to pop something in layaway on break or when I got off at the end of the day, then pick it up on payday.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Lay-a-way is cash- it simply means asking the store to hold it for you til you want it for whatever reason. If you change your mind, you do lose whatever was put down or whatever part the store policy demands but you do not owe anything.
I think it is great to take advantage of sales or something like that.
But if I know the mentality of retailers nowadays, there may be some small print involved in this- like fees in excess of the price. So I would be very careful to read the small print that clever minds devise.
I do wish that more stores had a policy of trying to give the customers what service straight forwardly instead of trying to fool them into spending more that they think. Everyone needs to earn money but the line should be held at trickery.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea curly I understand how you feel. living in a remodel eventually drives one batty cause at some point, we must just "have it done" and go forward with our lives.

I have the yard as a work in progress (again) and it just gets on my nerves until every last blade of grass is where it needs to be....then I am done and can move on.

I know.....

having no patience doesn't help does it. I am that type also..LOL

WOW fingers crossed for DH to sell that house on the market! I know that must be annoying to all....it would to me but when it is sold then the profit comes and that is always a big smile! :)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had family who would put things on layaway and pay the whole price except for a dollar or so... just so they would have a place to store their presents until christmas. I remeber when I was ten (LONG time ago) My aunt Diane dropped all of us kids off at the movies on Christmas Eve and she went to pick up all the layaway and take it to hide it, then she came and picked us all up and we went out to her house to await Santa. LOL

These days, it isn't that easy. I think the last time Walmart had layaway you had to pick up on Dec. 11. This was, presumably to prevent everyone from waiting until the last minute. However, of course, everyone just waited until Dec. 11, so it was still a nightmare on THAT day.

I think everyone should use it to their advantage if it's available. I just couldn't stand it... I'd be the one in the line for three hours to snap and go off the deep end. LOL For the last couple of years, I have done most of my holiday shopping on the internet. What I end up paying in shipping MORE than makes up for having to fight the Christmas crowds. Plus, the selection is literally limitless. You can find anything on the internet. ;)

Cassandra

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Most stores do have a mid Dec pickup date that is to avoid any more excess customers at last minute on the 23rd & 24th as a lot of people wait till then to shop for some reason. I like it for another reason too, my shopping is done early & all I have to worry about are stocking stuffer's & little things. I usually go a day or 2 ahead of the last day to get mine & avoid some of the hassle of last day pickup.