It's Just DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald said:
. . .lately I have seen(on other forums and facebook) whole conversations that just looked like two monkeys banging randomly on the keyboard. :barnie
The one teacher that I volunteer with for Drama is the English teacher and says that it drives her to distraction that student think it is okay to use these shorties and things like "@" for at, and & for and in their papers that have to be turned in..
:yuckyuck

I had one student that could not understand why ur and 4 were not acceptable in an essay.:rolleyes:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I guess I am not in the bothered group. Most of this stuff just warshes right past me. :p

My dear old Dad is the reason why I am so relaxed about all of this. He talks almost exactly like Boomhauer on King of the Hill! As a matter of a fact when he had a car wreck one time the policeman called an ambulance and had him sent to the hospital because... in the cop's own words ... "His speech is so mumbled and slurred, he may have had a stroke." :gig

A sample sentence reads like this, (be sure to mumble a bit) .. "Eyes drivin' down the road tuther night heading down to home, and I decided that I needed to take myself a spit, so I wretched over and rolled me down the winder light, sews I could get 'er done. I will shore be glad to crawl up enter my bed tonight. I am so tard I bet I'll get to sleeping fer I hit the piller."

So that said, if I use a warsh rag to clean my red neck and spelled Warshington DC with an R until I was 16 I still think I am doing a dern site better than I could have dun.

:woot

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Ammanah go ov-air by the big tree and kill me some deers. I seen 'em ov-air t'other day. Ems biguns, too.

Actually I kind of like the regional slang. It definitely gives color to our language.
I agree. I enjoy regional slang. As a kid, my family lived for 3 years in Wisconsin and picked up the term "excellent" to describe, well, everything even remotely good. I went around saying, "Excellent, y'all!" :D

Slang has it's place though, and a business setting isn't one of them (which is my pet peeve). I always try to curb my "y'alls" when I'm in a work setting, but y'all isn't as bad as hearing an educated person say "ain't" all the time, or pronounce "ask" as "axe". Or the "I seen", hate that one too.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ain't is in the dictionary

I say it all the time! I even write it in journals lol

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
ain't is in the dictionary

I say it all the time! I even write it in journals lol
But would you sit in a business meeting saying "ain't"? That was my point.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow...I just got hit with "we are planning our Extinguished Alumni Dinner".......um really, extinguished alumni....guess we won't be ordering much food for that one!!!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
Wow...I just got hit with "we are planning our Extinguished Alumni Dinner".......um really, extinguished alumni....guess we won't be ordering much food for that one!!!
:lol:

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
So it's only for dead folks I guess. Hmmm... are they planning on sittin' up at the tables? Weekend at Bernie's comes to mind.