Its starting to get a bit scary around here!

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It may not be scary to some. But in a low crime area, it is. We usually have the petty stuff.. Or stuff done out of boredom.

I live in a town of 6,000. One of our stores here was robbed of all their silver, gems and gold. More silver than any thing.

Then in the town only 25 minutes south of us. There is a group of burglers that have been invading homes with you there or not. They are wearing ski masks and going into homes, tying up the people up and stealing their jewlery. I dont know if the article hit the papers or not. But we heard it from some one whos friend was robbed. There is a prison in this town. And alot of families who have an incarsarated family member there has moved to this town. Like gang members and stuff. I think we may be getting gang related crimes now here on the more isolated coast line.

Either that. Or it is the recession getting worse. Instead of getting better like the government says. I could be people out of work scraping the stuff for money.

I think times are still getting tougher..

Sorry just had to post what was on my mind. And though SS people would understand..

I think Im going to start locking my cars now. Even though some times my car wont unlock itself.. Im starting to lock my doors during the day.. We alway lock them at night.
This has me a bit worried..

So far as rumor has it. They have no idea who is doing it.

I hope these people doing this dont move to our town next. Or maybe they were the ones who robbed the store here..

Ok my rambling is done.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Get a big mean dog, I'm sure you will find a great one at the local humane society or on craigslist. Put signs up "beware of the dog" & "Can you make it to the fence in 1.4 seconds, cause my dog can" etc.

My dog isn't terribly mean, but she makes enough noise that it scares people, and she is super protective of the whole family. We have a red heeler.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I have seen reports where gangs are targeting smaller towns. The smaller towns don't usually have the resources to respond to the problem and are easier pickings for the gangs.

While it isn't a panacea, I'd also recommend a large dog. The intimidation factor will sometimes deter would be robbers. However, I definitely would not put up any warning signs. The way that the courts are these days, signs like this are an open invitation to law suits. The courts tend to look at it as, you knew your dog was vicious because you put up the sign, so you are automatically liable no matter what the person that got bit was doing.

Keeping your doors locked all of the time and keeping a firearm handy is unfortunately a fact of life in some areas. The same warning as above applies to signs saying things like "We don't dial 911 (and has a picture of a gun)", Trespassers will be shot, survivors shot again", Warning - Protected by Smith & Wesson", etc. If someone ever has to actually defend their person or their family, the courts generally rule that the signs show a predisposition to violence on the home owners part. Sad, but that's the way it is.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we had a big increase in theft in my area

taking copper tubing off air conditioning units and more stupid thefts
anything for a dollar

we had a few big metal OLD farm implements like our horse drawn plow stolen from the yard....yup just for cash

so batten down the hatches people, as more and more become desperate for money, more and more YOUR items are inviting to steal

I would think all areas are affected with this problem

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How scary! I live in a town with gang murder, but I am very white so I'm more at risk for rape or mugging.

Get a dog, if nothing more then a piece of mind. I have a HUGE, big, massive labrador who is intimadating to new people/strangers. He's never barked at anyone, but recently got up and went to check out who was knocking on the door. I don't know if he would ever defend, but I take him everywhere just because people tend to stay away from me, lol. (And anyone with my facebook knows how cute and cuddly he truly is!)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Yup, back home this past summer in the local towns about 100+ homes were hit, almost always going through the garage, quiet neighborhoods, and so on. Never caught either.

We also had a lot of rural burglars, going to older farmhouses that looked abandoned and stealing any and all scrap metal to take away to get money. Our neighbor had his entire farm ransacked that way.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I live in a middle sized town, pretty rural. After Hurricane Katrina we got a lot of undesirables that met up with the riff raff we already had... now we have huge problems - as in nationally feared gangs. Every single day there is a shooting, stabbing or such in the news. We have had 2 double homicides in 3 weeks.

I have 3 dogs - 1 too old to really count. My 107lb Lab is a big teddy bear, but has proven to be very protective of me (traveling he stood at the hotel door snarling when a housekeeper tried to come in uninvited). My terrier mutt doesn't look intimidating but he will tear into a stranger faster than lightning.

And Florida has a stand your ground law... so coming in my house uninvited can be very bad for your health.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes I think the problems is increasing in all areas.. Usually the thefts around here used to be few and far between. And usually a teen trying to get beer money.. No harm done though...

Now it is getting a bit worse...

Around here there has also been houses being built as being the target. They take all the copper wires.. The whole house will be striped in one night.. Sad really.

Well getting a big dog would be a plus. But I rent.. Only dogs under 30 pounds are allowed.. No pits, dobies, german shepards, rotties and the like. A few breeds cant even be in the mix of a mixed breed. But the weight is a bit flexiable. But not by much. Im one dog over my limit.. And my dogs only weigh 4-6 pounds a piece. They sure can make some noise to aleart you though..

I cant wait till tax season.. We are moving. I dont want to be this close to a prison. Charles Manson even lived at this one for awhile. It is a maximum prison.. Scary people in it.. And they have had one get loose one time.. They told people to not stop for any one walking on Hwy 101 or surounding roads till he was caught.. It was quiet a few years ago. But I remember it.

Cant wait till I can get a big scary dog..

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Get yourself a firearm and learn how to use it.

The Wife and I live out a bit from the city. We have three very loud(but very cuddly) dogs. They let us know whenever someone is around. I carry a Glock model 27 .40 caliber(loaded w jacketed hollow points) on my right hip 12 hours a day. The rest of the time, the wife and myself are within arms reach of either a 12 gauge shotgun loaded w double 00, or the Taurus Judge loaded with .410 personal defense rounds.

Before someone mentions that they think I am paranoid or psychotic,
you must realize that we live within 5 miles of not one, but TWO state prisons, AND a juvenile halfway house for drug offenders. I am also sandwiched in between two major North/South highways, and the heroin trade is terrible in the small town to our North.

We have a very good possibility of the SHTF at anytime.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.