Its starting to get a bit scary around here!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Another suggestion is putting Wasp spray right by the door. Easy to grab, not an obvious weapon, and can reach up to 30 feet. It also should not do any serious damage to a child should they play with it.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dh was hauling scrap metal off of our old place until he started work and we had an old Festiva sitting by a fence along with an old Blazer. He went to check to see how hard they would be to get loaded and made sure anything of any good was out of them. Then he went home. When he came back out a couple of days later the Festiva was gone along with the radiator of the Blazer and also our refridgerator we had stored went missing. This is in a town of less than 400 people. This happened this week. We have a dog, but of course we don't live at that place so it made no difference. The point is that stuff had sat in the same place for 3 years with no one living there and hadn't been touched. We really could have used the money that vehicle would have brought which would have been only about $150, but someone was apparently even more desprate than we were. In the last 6 months nothing has been safe from thieves. Apparently not even non running vehicles!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
We really could have used the money that vehicle would have brought which would have been only about $150, but someone was apparently even more desprate than we were. In the last 6 months nothing has been safe from thieves. Apparently not even non running vehicles!
I'm not very good at it, but when something bad like that happens, I try to tell myself what you just did, that someone must be real bad off, & I hope this helped them. :idunno

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
~gd said:
SKR8PN said:
Get yourself a firearm and learn how to use it.

The Wife and I live out a bit from the city. We have three very loud(but very cuddly) dogs. They let us know whenever someone is around. I carry a Glock model 27 .40 caliber(loaded w jacketed hollow points) on my right hip 12 hours a day. The rest of the time, the wife and myself are within arms reach of either a 12 gauge shotgun loaded w double 00, or the Taurus Judge loaded with .410 personal defense rounds.

Before someone mentions that they think I am paranoid or psychotic,
you must realize that we live within 5 miles of not one, but TWO state prisons, AND a juvenile halfway house for drug offenders. I am also sandwiched in between two major North/South highways, and the heroin trade is terrible in the small town to our North.

We have a very good possibility of the SHTF at anytime.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
what can you tell me about the 410 personal defense round? I have a 410 that I use for shooting clays and smaller birds and it doesn't wear me out like the old 12 guage does but I haven't heard of a personal defense round. Any info would be appreciated!
Go here and check it out.
http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
~gd said:
what can you tell me about the 410 personal defence round? I have a 410 that I use for shooting clays and smaller birds and it doesn't wear me out like the old 12 guage does but I haven't heard of a personal defence round. Any info would be appreciated!
FWIW, Winchester makes the PDX1, a personal defense round. The .410 rounds utilize three disc type projectiles combined with 12 BB's. Here is a link to see what they are.

Oops, I see that you got a reply during the time that I was typing.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The Winchester PDX-1 works very good. A little pricey when we were out patterning our guns.

NOTHINGINSIDE-1.jpg

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
The best and smartest guard dog I ever had was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I got mine for a clearance price too b/c he was a runt. (Pre kids btw, he was the only dog I ever paid for.)

Unfortunately he was a gift from me to my ex-husband so I lost him in the divorce. :/

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to second that. Smartest dog I have ever known - though not my own, and not as a guard dog - was a Chesepeake Bay Retriever. Only dog I've ever known that would look both ways (twice!) before crossing an intersection! Of course, next to the neighbour's bloodhound, that I used to walk at the time, a child's stuffed toy would have appeared smart! :lol: But, really, BD (Brown Dog) really was a great dog, and very intelligent.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dogs are a good defense... but sometimes dogs get shot.

Find out what your laws are in your state,,, and I'm talking to myself here cause I don't know the Idaho law, but in Texas if someone comes on your property or in your house its shoot first and ask questions later. Homeowners are protected and can protect themselves.