jam ? what to do with all the extra...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
They don't seem to appreciate receiving a homemade gift such as canned goods...I don't understand why but... I don't feel that I should give to those who don't appreciate the work that I put into it.
I don't get it either. My family would not appreciate it at all :tongue

But you are right...why waste the good stuff on the unappreciative?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have realized over he past few years that when one of my fruit trees is having a great year it's inevitable that one is not. So last year was the year for nectarine. The year before that was apricot. The jam usually last for more than one season. Which gives us a nice variety.

This year I am splurging on strawberries from the farm stand. It's been a couple years since I made strawberry. :drool

g

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kimnkell said:
Wifezilla said:
I give a lot as gifts, so that helps. There was still extra jam though (I really LIKE making jelly/jam/marmalade) so I had two kids. That pretty much took care of it
That's one way to get rid of that extra jam...and extra money...and excess sanity...

:gig
I usually give my jams and jellies at Christmas too but I didn't give much away this past year because of the past experiences with my family.... They don't seem to appreciate receiving a homemade gift such as canned goods...I don't understand why but... I don't feel that I should give to those who don't appreciate the work that I put into it. However, there are some of my friends that truly appreciate it and would love to have it all the time.....
I KNOW!!!!
I always make my Christmas gifts. Year before last was coffee, cocoa, tea mixes and biscotti. Not a big hit. My MIL had it just sitting on her counter until March when I think she just threw it away. (they really were good) My neices just looked at them, gave me an obligatory smile and gently sat them on the floor. Last Christmas was canned goodies. Again, my MIL still has a jar of "Apple Pie Filling" sitting on the counter, next to the chips and stacks of mail. I think I'll just keep my goodies and go buy a bunch of cheap crap from the dollar store next year.

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
kimnkell said:
Wifezilla said:
That's one way to get rid of that extra jam...and extra money...and excess sanity...

:gig
I usually give my jams and jellies at Christmas too but I didn't give much away this past year because of the past experiences with my family.... They don't seem to appreciate receiving a homemade gift such as canned goods...I don't understand why but... I don't feel that I should give to those who don't appreciate the work that I put into it. However, there are some of my friends that truly appreciate it and would love to have it all the time.....
I KNOW!!!!
I always make my Christmas gifts. Year before last was coffee, cocoa, tea mixes and biscotti. Not a big hit. My MIL had it just sitting on her counter until March when I think she just threw it away. (they really were good) My neices just looked at them, gave me an obligatory smile and gently sat them on the floor. Last Christmas was canned goodies. Again, my MIL still has a jar of "Apple Pie Filling" sitting on the counter, next to the chips and stacks of mail. I think I'll just keep my goodies and go buy a bunch of cheap crap from the dollar store next year.
this is why i am very hesitant to give any as gifts... first id have to ship them, then i dont think ANY of the people i would ship them to would use it... my mom once got some as a gift from someone and it sat there for years until I threw it away... some people just dont appreciate it.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I give jam every year for Christmas gifts to friends and family. I'd say 75% of it actually gets eaten. I know my one SIL LOVES it. She even takes my other SIL's jam, because she want even touch it. My DH's grandmother eats it even though she shouldn't because she has diabetes. I have two neighbors who look forward to it every year and even request their favorites (beach plum jam). Other neighbors probably don't touch it because it's not their regular Welch's grape jelly. :rolleyes: I think some people are afraid of homemade canned items, because of botulism. Again.....:rolleyes:

Edited to add: I ask for the jars back to reuse every year. I can gauge who really eats and enjoys it, by how quickly they return them. ;)

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ummmmm, did you know that if you take "extra" jam and put it in a pan with a little water it's nice warm fruit syrup for pancakes and french toast and waffles?
We used to use jam as ice cream topping or put strawberry jam into the ice cream when we were making it. Every Christmas we make cookies with jam centers, scones with jam, tarts with jam, JELLY ROLLS with Jam, popovers with jam....
Strawberry jam makes an excellent glaze topping for pound cake or frosting for a cake when mixed with varying amounts of powdered sugar.
You can make a smoothie or milk shake with some yogurt and jam and a banana. You can flavor your yogurt with jam. A little jam on some cream cheese on a bagel....
Okay, you know all this, I'm just going crazy at the thought of TOO MUCH JAM!!

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Ummmmm, did you know that if you take "extra" jam and put it in a pan with a little water it's nice warm fruit syrup for pancakes and french toast and waffles?
We used to use jam as ice cream topping or put strawberry jam into the ice cream when we were making it. Every Christmas we make cookies with jam centers, scones with jam, tarts with jam, JELLY ROLLS with Jam, popovers with jam....
Strawberry jam makes an excellent glaze topping for pound cake or frosting for a cake when mixed with varying amounts of powdered sugar. You can make a smoothie or milk shake with some yogurt and jam and a banana. You can flavor your yogurt with jam. A little jam on some cream cheese on a bagel....
:drool yummo!!! i may need to make pound cake now...

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Strawberry jam makes an excellent glaze topping for pound cake or frosting for a cake when mixed with varying amounts of powdered sugar.
You can make a smoothie or milk shake with some yogurt and jam and a banana. You can flavor your yogurt with jam. A little jam on some cream cheese on a bagel....
X2

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey girls,
I REALLY enjoyed the gift exchange we did a couple years ago. It was so fun!
And only people like us can truly appreciate all the work (and love) that goes into home made items.

Latest posts