January Jump-Start (Garden Dream and Plan Thread)

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Given the weather, you'll be forgiven for thinking I'm talking about cars with my title :)

But for many January is the time to actually get started on this years garden...even if that just means ordering seeds!

Nothing is getting started in my house until February at the earliest, but there's still planning to be done!
Maybe some of those December dreams become more concrete this month!

So what are your garden plans looking like now?

teg-jpg.5765

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I popped into Aldi this afternoon for a quick grocery shop and they had seeds in stock… right in the middle of aisle 3 too, in case you missed it. (I nearly did, I was so sleepy this morning) Well, I got…

Peas
Cauliflower
Carrots
Courgette (I was aiming for cucumber - did mention I was sleepy)
Watermelon
What they call round "courgettes" and I'm hoping like mad is those elusive gem squash I've been looking for
Dwarf sunflower seeds - assorted colours
Swiss chard

I need broccoli seed still. Since I didn't buy any, I'm guessing they didn't have it in stock as they are high on my must have list. And corn. I really miss fresh corn on the cob!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I spent a little time looking at frost dates, looking at germination and maturity dates, back-peddling on the calendar to see when to start seeds to set out at....whatever dates....so I could chart what I will grow by dates. Start XXX, transplant XXX, direct sow, plow the pasture and overseed, etc.

Well it became a sizeable project and I had to stop to get ready to go to work. :( But I have much of the info ready to chart out so I can "attempt" to be organized. I just don't want to be looking at a tilled area and go :he ya needed to start seeds a month ago!!! Yep, been there, done that. :p

All said & done, I'm thinking first of Feb I could start seeds! That's only ONE week away :clap :caf

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Y'all are so organized. I garden by the sawed off shotgun method. Just pull the trigger and blast it. Back tracking on the calendar from planting date to planting date? :lol: My planting dates are because I want to plant NOW, so I do. :gig

Texas, Bay....it's warm there. You can basically stick anything in the ground all year round and expect it to grow and make food. Here in the cooler states it takes some planning if you want food. :D

mythreesons290322

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have somewhat of a plan..I plan on growing more hot pepper plants for my homemade hot sauce since my family eats it on everything everyday. I also saved seed from my pole beans to grow 100% more then last year to hopefully can.

I started from saved seed Cheyenne spirit echinacea and calendula just to see if the seed would grow and amazingly more seeds germinated then I anticipated.. I’m talking over 100 seedlings so far with more germinating every other day. I would love to sell some just not sure how to go about yet.

I also bought purple echinacea, feverfew ,rosemary and sage seeds that I started the beginning of the month and as of resent last week ..I over did it with the purple echinacea as I see if they continue to germinate like they are I will have way more then I thought I would.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got more seeds than I can plant in my garden. I plan on building some raised beds, trellis, etc. I'm also toying with the idea of planting all my fences with pole beans and maybe tilling a spot right in the front yard for bush beans.

I got ideas man....i just haven't done squat yet. Lol