January Jump-Start (Garden Dream and Plan Thread)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler at our old house (city lot) I made a green bean garden next to the driveway. It was 1 foot wide and 12 feet long.

Picture taken 4-21

IMG150.jpg

Picture taken 6-12-2012

IMG220.jpg

I will be sending you these green bean seeds soon!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@baymule, I'm with you. I've got all kinds of seeds. I'll plant everything I can, and see what survives. Last year peppers and okra, cucumbers, oregano, basil, mint, and eggplant all did great. Tomatoes did poorly. Zucchini barely scraped by. Root crops all drowned... New year, new garden. Right now my celery looks fantastic. I rooted the bases after Thanksgiving and put them in pots last week...
IMG_20180110_161016.jpg

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Spring is just too far away it's:

Snow and ice month (current month)
Snow and ice month
Maple syrup month
Spring (though that doesn't mean there's no snow and ice)
Really Spring
Definitely Spring!
Summer
Hot Summer
Fall
Chilly Fall
Cold Fall (which is really winter but we're in denial)
Winter

Lol, I started with the first four and then decided to keep going :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Finally got those onion seeds planted today. They will be in a sunny window out in the cabin where they can benefit from the warm temps there. Not too close to the stove, but close enough to stay warm.

I had presoaked them for 24 hrs first and I'm hoping that will help them germinate...sweet onions are known for none too stellar germination, so you have to plant a lot to get enough. I planted 750 seeds.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I realized we buy round bales from an organic beef farmer... And DH just helped her wrangle a sick (and angry) bull... So now is a perfect time to ask about getting some aged manure and old, wet round bales!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I made a new garden plan, even though I may not know for a couple weeks if the csa thing is going to happen: it's just fun to design gardens!

I really enjoy the puzzle; x number of units, x number of weeks, x number of beds, seeds, spacing, planting dates, succession,

I've got all sorts of excel calculations going:D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those onion seeds are STILL popping out of the soil, so even more have germinated while I was gone this weekend. I had to remove the plastic wrap off the top of the tray to allow room for the sprouts and also let air in there...don't want it to mold and I saw a little white fuzz in a corner of the tray.

Also moved them to a cooler part of the house now that they've germinated...we are having some warm temps here, got windows open in the house, it's that warm.

I am hoping and praying I can get them to the garden without killing them or stunting them in some way. I never know when I'm going to kill whole trays of seedlings out of clumsiness or forgetfulness.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We get mostly dry and warm for 2 months of the year in most years. We have cabbage years and tomato years. Cabbages love the years with cool rainy summers, like the one where we only hit 80 five times. Tomatoes get late blight and die before the fruit ripens in those years. Cabbages do great.

Squash does good here. I know this so will be planting a lot this year again. Along with peas if I can keep the stupid deer from eating the plants. Cucumbers have been requested by hubby. He wants me to make lots of pickles.

I had the round zucchini type squash last year. They aren't as good as the black beauty zucchini. Do just great shredded though and last better after being picked. They do get more of a seed problem if you let them get big. I preferred them the size of grapefruit at the biggest. I pick my zucchini at 8-10 inches as well because I prefer the soft tender things. If I'm thinking of grilling them, I'll let the get a little bigger. Grilled summer squash is awesome.