January Jump-Start (Garden Dream and Plan Thread)

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to have some restrictions just so I can stay on top of it!
I have acres and acres of hay fields that I could (try) to convert to garden space, so I have to have some sort of limit lol

I think I'll work with these three areas this year:
house garden ~540 sq ft
clay garden 1250 sq ft
squash patch 1250 sq ft

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I popped into Aldi this afternoon for a quick grocery shop and they had seeds in stock… right in the middle of aisle 3 too, in case you missed it. (I nearly did, I was so sleepy this morning) Well, I got…

Peas
Cauliflower
Carrots
Courgette (I was aiming for cucumber - did mention I was sleepy)
Watermelon
What they call round "courgettes" and I'm hoping like mad is those elusive gem squash I've been looking for
Dwarf sunflower seeds - assorted colours
Swiss chard

I need broccoli seed still. Since I didn't buy any, I'm guessing they didn't have it in stock as they are high on my must have list. And corn. I really miss fresh corn on the cob!

Makes me hungry just reading the list!!! They make round zucchini? :th

Did a search and apparently they do! Learn something new all the time.... :D

20-july-010-1.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I told DS11 the watermelon seeds are for him and he can help me choose where to put the sunflowers. When I got up this morning, he was out in the backyard already, clearing the space he chose for his garden :love It was over 50F here today? Strange, considering it poured snow yesterday morning. This warm temperature is making me more and more impatient to get out there and garden, but I know it's going to be cold again before Spring. Patience, patience, where are you?!? lol

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have four, large planters that hang over the 4X6 porch rails that I found in a trash pile along the road last year :clap that I am planning to use for my herbs...basil, sage, oregano & mint. I'll throw seeds in & thin out as needed. If a lot come up then to garden they go but, I will have fresh use on the porch. Plan to dry some for storage/winter use.

In a couple of weeks it will be time to start tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, etc. Squash, corn, peas, beans, etc. all get direct sow. In only 6 weeks I can plant peas, chard, cabbage, broccoli, etc. :celebrate Can't stand it. Seriously, patience is leaving me!

Soil mix, pots, markers, everything....waiting & waiting!:he

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The more I listen to you all, the more thing I add to the list of things I have to and want to grow! I need to make a proper list of things I eat lots of and will actually use and get more seeds.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:)
I just had a conversation with another small farmer, might need to re-plan the garden, I think we might do business together!

Well, work it out seriously before you make all the changes. Another person can be a great asset sometimes, so long as both can share the load as well as the rewards. I would prefer to have someone working with me for such things as the gardening.

If you two are talking CSA together, you need agreements first. But it could be THE best for you both. Talk it through and know you can count on each other, you have the same goals and dedication.

I hope it is something that will work well for you!!!:clap

Rodeogirl, you will find your "place in the sun" before long. Hey, you can always container plant some things!! If you move, they can too.:)

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:)

Well, work it out seriously before you make all the changes. Another person can be a great asset sometimes, so long as both can share the load as well as the rewards. I would prefer to have someone working with me for such things as the gardening.

If you two are talking CSA together, you need agreements first. But it could be THE best for you both. Talk it through and know you can count on each other, you have the same goals and dedication.

I hope it is something that will work well for you!!!:clap

Rodeogirl, you will find your "place in the sun" before long. Hey, you can always container plant some things!! If you move, they can too.:)

I actually won't need to do many changes in all honesty, if any. We talked about various ways to share the workload this year, and compensation will be determined once we have a plan. It was just the initial conversation, we ended up talking for 4 hours lol.

But it's forming the foundation for future collaboration which we're excited about.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well...the reportedly hard to germinate sweet onion seeds have germinated in 4-5 days and it looks like most of them germinated, whereas they say only expect 2/3 of them to germinate. Needless to say, I'm tickled pink to see all those little sprouts! :weee :ya :celebrate :woot

Now...if I can just KEEP them alive and growing..... :hide

Studied up on how other folks grew them and picked up a few pointers on how the experts do it, so this could contribute to any seeming success on this.

One old fella said, in order to plant them evenly spaced in your seedling tray, mix the seeds with some of the soil thoroughly, then just sprinkle the mix over the top of your potting soil in the tray. That worked like a dream...these sprouts are VERY evenly distributed throughout the tray.

I wondered if I could presoak them and get better germination rate, so I searched about it...found an article that said it might help. Said not to soak longer than 24 hrs, so I did that. It seems to have helped as all the other sites and videos said it could take up to 10 days for germination and to expect poor germination no matter what.

I also invested in some super potting mix...I used it the last few years with really good results, so it's likely this has contributed to the good germination as well.

January jump start? Check! :celebrate

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just did some of my seed starting dates as well, though they're subject to change.March 14 is my earliest date so far.
My dad will start onions mid-late February.
So long to wait for anything to get started...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Y'all are so organized. I garden by the sawed off shotgun method. Just pull the trigger and blast it. Back tracking on the calendar from planting date to planting date? :lol: My planting dates are because I want to plant NOW, so I do. :gig