January Jump-Start (Garden Dream and Plan Thread)

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a plan to get my first seeds and transplants in the ground April 14th - spinach, carrots, mesclun mix, lettuce, kale, peas

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Finally got those onion seeds planted today. They will be in a sunny window out in the cabin where they can benefit from the warm temps there. Not too close to the stove, but close enough to stay warm.

I had presoaked them for 24 hrs first and I'm hoping that will help them germinate...sweet onions are known for none too stellar germination, so you have to plant a lot to get enough. I planted 750 seeds.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I planted some onions tonight too. I didn't know to soak them tho. I guess I'll just keep them wet and see what happens. I also planted some herbs. This book I have said no is the time to do basil, oregano, and thyme. Then I guess I transplant them when it warms up? Not sure. Oh and I did some lettuce. All in all about 100 cells. We will see how it goes.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I don't really have a suitable place to start seeds here, so I'm going to wait *sigh* and sow direct. I need the temperature to be about 50F and that it is right now, but it's not going to stay this way for long.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have four, large planters that hang over the 4X6 porch rails that I found in a trash pile along the road last year :clap that I am planning to use for my herbs...basil, sage, oregano & mint. I'll throw seeds in & thin out as needed. If a lot come up then to garden they go but, I will have fresh use on the porch. Plan to dry some for storage/winter use.

In a couple of weeks it will be time to start tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, etc. Squash, corn, peas, beans, etc. all get direct sow. In only 6 weeks I can plant peas, chard, cabbage, broccoli, etc. :celebrate Can't stand it. Seriously, patience is leaving me!

Soil mix, pots, markers, everything....waiting & waiting!:he

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The more I listen to you all, the more thing I add to the list of things I have to and want to grow! I need to make a proper list of things I eat lots of and will actually use and get more seeds.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hard to limit myself -- but, I try to plant what I will eat. Then, for occasional wants, buy it elsewhere. :) Then, what I plant has to be monitored -- # of plants, that is. I do NOT need 50 squash plants! With only me, I don't even do some of the succession planting that larger families need. So, one row of green beans, eat fresh & can....then another crop can go in. We get so excited and tend to "overplant" when our family numbers are lower. If you have a houseful of kids, yep, you double plant!!

For my animals, I sure need to overplant this year!!

My chickens & goats will eat almost anything from the garden.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Same here, Mini...we've scaled our garden WAY down over the years and this year I'll pare it down even more, taking it down to what we eat the most and will utilize well, which will help me concentrate all my efforts on those things the most.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just had a conversation with another small farmer, might need to re-plan the garden, I think we might do business together!

Latest posts