January Jump-Start (Garden Dream and Plan Thread)

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I' jealous I haven't even planed what I'm going to plant. I don' know if we are going to be here for planting

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks @sumi !
teg-jpg.5765

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:)
I just had a conversation with another small farmer, might need to re-plan the garden, I think we might do business together!

Well, work it out seriously before you make all the changes. Another person can be a great asset sometimes, so long as both can share the load as well as the rewards. I would prefer to have someone working with me for such things as the gardening.

If you two are talking CSA together, you need agreements first. But it could be THE best for you both. Talk it through and know you can count on each other, you have the same goals and dedication.

I hope it is something that will work well for you!!!:clap

Rodeogirl, you will find your "place in the sun" before long. Hey, you can always container plant some things!! If you move, they can too.:)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I realized we buy round bales from an organic beef farmer... And DH just helped her wrangle a sick (and angry) bull... So now is a perfect time to ask about getting some aged manure and old, wet round bales!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:)

Well, work it out seriously before you make all the changes. Another person can be a great asset sometimes, so long as both can share the load as well as the rewards. I would prefer to have someone working with me for such things as the gardening.

If you two are talking CSA together, you need agreements first. But it could be THE best for you both. Talk it through and know you can count on each other, you have the same goals and dedication.

I hope it is something that will work well for you!!!:clap

Rodeogirl, you will find your "place in the sun" before long. Hey, you can always container plant some things!! If you move, they can too.:)

I actually won't need to do many changes in all honesty, if any. We talked about various ways to share the workload this year, and compensation will be determined once we have a plan. It was just the initial conversation, we ended up talking for 4 hours lol.

But it's forming the foundation for future collaboration which we're excited about.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
treerooted -- sounds great! This is how so many great things begin. My very best friend began with a simple "can you breed my mini mare" over 20 yrs ago! Cultivate this new friend.

rodeogirl -- hooray!! Now you can plan. Hope this is a place you will be able to settle into for a while. I know you want the stability for you & DS. Sounds good -- short wait.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I made a new garden plan, even though I may not know for a couple weeks if the csa thing is going to happen: it's just fun to design gardens!

I really enjoy the puzzle; x number of units, x number of weeks, x number of beds, seeds, spacing, planting dates, succession,

I've got all sorts of excel calculations going:D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well...the reportedly hard to germinate sweet onion seeds have germinated in 4-5 days and it looks like most of them germinated, whereas they say only expect 2/3 of them to germinate. Needless to say, I'm tickled pink to see all those little sprouts! :weee :ya :celebrate :woot

Now...if I can just KEEP them alive and growing..... :hide

Studied up on how other folks grew them and picked up a few pointers on how the experts do it, so this could contribute to any seeming success on this.

One old fella said, in order to plant them evenly spaced in your seedling tray, mix the seeds with some of the soil thoroughly, then just sprinkle the mix over the top of your potting soil in the tray. That worked like a dream...these sprouts are VERY evenly distributed throughout the tray.

I wondered if I could presoak them and get better germination rate, so I searched about it...found an article that said it might help. Said not to soak longer than 24 hrs, so I did that. It seems to have helped as all the other sites and videos said it could take up to 10 days for germination and to expect poor germination no matter what.

I also invested in some super potting mix...I used it the last few years with really good results, so it's likely this has contributed to the good germination as well.

January jump start? Check! :celebrate

Latest posts