1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

January/Winter Frugality Challenges!

Discussion in 'Frugal Living - Making and Saving Money' started by tortoise, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Dec 13, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

I am very excited about your freeze-drying project @Britesea! I don't trust freezers either! I hate being reliant upon them! I learned to can meat this year in hopes of being less freezer-dependent. (And because it's easier to make into a fast meal!

2. Dec 14, 2017
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

@tortoise one of my favorite meat canning projects is: Fill a quart jar about 1/3 full with a mixture of chopped Holy Trinity (onions, celery and carrots), then fill the jar with cubed and browned meat (I use chicken or beef) and top off with the appropriate flavor of stock, then can. You can use this as a base for so many meals- add noodles and extra broth for soup, or a bit of thickened broth for stew, or over toast, or mix with rice or starch of your choice for a casserole... et cetera ad nauseaum.