jars at Walmart

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
do you have a really scary junky type flea market in your area.
tons of times there are jars for the taking at these flea markets.

around here, the worst icky flea markets have tons of old bottles, medicine etc and also have tons of ball jars
just a possibility for finding some jars
Heehee, that's an interesting way to describe them...

I remember going to one on the edge of town several years ago...DH says it mostly sells "new", clearance-type stuff now but it might be worth checking out.

As for old bottles, I have picked up some glass cannister-type jars with the tight-fitting lids at a thrift store that I'm keeping my dehydrated stuff in. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you are looking for nice swing top bottles for mead, homemade wine, or your own juices, 360 Vodka sells their booze in those bottles. I like their double chocolate flavor best. If you add diet Sprite to it, it tastes like a tootsie roll :D So good vodka AND a reuseable bottle. Win win!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I haven't been to WM in over a year, but I did to Bed and Bath the other day. Got all excited about their nice jars, until I turned one over and found the "made in China" sticker. It is not only the loss of american jobs and lower quality, I also don't trust that they don't have some so of toxin in them. I'll stick with good old Kerr, Mason or Ball jars, thank you!!!
I was happy to see that our locally owned very small chain hardware store had a sale on them this week and a super display in the middle of the sale floor, along with other canning stuff! I didn't buy anything, but it as a nice thing to see.
I get most of my canning jars from friends and the Goodwill Outlet store. I have a pretty good stock of them now and hopefully won't have to buy any more new ones, except for 1/2 gallon and gallon sizes.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I haven't been to WM in over a year, but I did to Bed and Bath the other day. Got all excited about their nice jars, until I turned one over and found the "made in China" sticker. It is not only the loss of american jobs and lower quality, I also don't trust that they don't have some so of toxin in them. I'll stick with good old Kerr, Mason or Ball jars, thank you!!!
By the Ball jars at WM I found some cute little clear glass cannisters in different sizes. Glory be - MADE IN THE USA!!!! Since I was looking for similar jars for my dehydrated veggies I bought 5 or so. I have a bunch of 'maters & onions in them now. :D

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got snookered today. I bought a crawdad trap (there was only one brand available) and did not notice the "made in china" until I got it home. I would return it, but there isn't any american-made ones available here. I do plan on contacting the manager and letting him know how disappointed I am that he doesn't have any american made traps though.:barnie

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
If you are looking for nice swing top bottles for mead, homemade wine, or your own juices, 360 Vodka sells their booze in those bottles. I like their double chocolate flavor best. If you add diet Sprite to it, it tastes like a tootsie roll :D So good vodka AND a reuseable bottle. Win win!!
I noticed those also :) and love using them. good quality vodka and good reusable bottle to boot! I like using the vodka for making tinctures too. It has a high alcohol level good for medicinal tinctures.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For those swing top type bottles I buy those Lorraine French lemonades from Marshalls or the grocery store, they are 2.99 and the bottles are perfect for vanillas, flavored vinegars and such. I have not been able to find the bottles empty for that price!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I bought some of the WM ones the other day. I wasn't paying attention to anything other than price. If you have a choice DO NOT BUY them. :he I did two batches and had a failure in each batch. It was my first time I've ever had failures when canning. The glass is already starting to get cloudy and etched as well. The walls feel thin and they're just gross. I'll use them to store dried stuff in as I empty the canned but won't use them for canning.

It was a fine example of penny wise and pound foolish.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
I bought some of the WM ones the other day. I wasn't paying attention to anything other than price. If you have a choice DO NOT BUY them. :he I did two batches and had a failure in each batch. It was my first time I've ever had failures when canning. The glass is already starting to get cloudy and etched as well. The walls feel thin and they're just gross. I'll use them to store dried stuff in as I empty the canned but won't use them for canning.

It was a fine example of penny wise and pound foolish.
Thanks for sharing your experience with them, ff. I wasn't planning on buying any, but if anyone here was considering it, maybe you've changed a few minds. ;) :D