Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Watching that on the news right now. Tsunami wave are also hitting Alaska right now. Yikes!

Your syrup looks delicious :D

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bummer about the tree falling on the hen house and I'm glad they're OK too. When we had a huge snow storm this past winter the snow that accumulated on the chicken netting caused the entire back fenceline to collapse. Talk about a PITA....I hope the damage isn't too bad once you get a chance to look at it!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow! Just turned on CNN - lots of pics from Japan and Hawaii.

Glad your feathered family is okay. I thought mine would blow away Wednesday, but we're all intact - just wet.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
When I went out last night to make a assessment of the roof to inspect for damage, I could hear limbs breaking around us here. The snow seems to be a heavy kind and just hanging around. Today, while checking the genny, I have a switch that I think is bad, and will need to get it serviced. I have a back up small honda 3000 that can supply some needed power. We will always have heat, a way to cook, and water. So all the basic needs can be met.

The power has come back on, and I turned my attention to the fallen tree, and removing it. The roof to the coop has a hole in it that I didn't notice last night. The hole in the front can be repaired simply enough.

I suppose with the soft ground, flooding, wind and heavy snow, that is why the tree came down. I have wondered about a hole near it. That is where the pond water exits when it fills to much. I noticed a few years that some water was going under ground, and coming out 10-14 feet below it. That also might have contributed to the tree coming down.

Pleased that no major damage was done to the house, and count that as a blessing. When I heard it hit, I was dreaming of something, and thought that was a odd sound to hear in this place, and than was woken up after the wife asked me did I hear that...

Last fall I removed a big 14-16 inch branch from that tree, and glad I did, that would have hit the power line coming into the house.

Today was a non productive day, except dealing with this storms aftermath. My emergency is nothing like the tsunami struck area everywhere...

Did you see that boat caught in that huge whirlpool???? I saw a small rooster tail coming from it as it tried to get out, I didn't see it get out, did you?

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My heart goes out to all those poor people - as if the earthquake and tsunami wasn't enough, now there was an explosion at the nuclear plant.
Even if they evacuated everyone, how far away would you have to be not to be exposed to the radiation?

ETA: Good news, the radiation levels dropped after the explosion, so the blast did not penetrate the walls of the reactor.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Glad you're all fine. I hope all the repairs are easy, so everybody is warm and reasonably dry. We know where your next batch of firewood is coming from.

" I have wondered about a hole near it. That is where the pond water exits when it fills to much. I noticed a few years that some water was going under ground, and coming out 10-14 feet below it."

You might develop that spot and make it a good watering hole- or maybe grow some cattails, horsetail grass, cranberries, wild rice, or similar handy stuff.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK J.......since I can't ask you to marry me....your wife and my hubby might object....can I ask you to at least become my chef!?? That looks amazeing!! Yummmmmmm. Good job!!!!
Oh, and..was that corn starch and milk you added there towards the end...to thicken it?