Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Glad to see you on again. I checked out your site last night. Very nice!

New skill- I started making sauerkraut recently. It's still pretty young, but it seems to be going fine.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
When I returned home this morning, I went straight to the garden to check on my tomato plants. All my heirlooms are dead from the blight, the only ones living are the two GM tomato plants that were given to me. Not only does it kill the plant, but it works its way into the fruit and causes the fruit to rot vine on. I call my local extension office about canning the green fruit, they said not to because it will spoil anyway.

I have 12 huge organic raised plants, they are loaded more this year than I have ever grown tomatoes ever. I am going say they are 4-5 feet tall and 3 feet around. Nice big fruits, maybe 150 pounds give or take 20 pounds.

I made a call to my Uncle at work today, he said his are dead too. I called a local farmers market to find out who locally has tomatoes for sale in bulk. I called Tom down at the mill who gave me a local guys number who sprayed his plants prior and during this blight spreading. So I called him, his wife said they have bushels of ripe tomatoes that are still on the plant. When I asked how organic they were, she said the are treated with a organic anti-fungi spray, but no pesticides have been used on them. When I asked cost per bushel, she said as many as I could put in a bushel, heaping, but I'd have to pick my own, $20 a bushel.

So I looked up the spray they used, than I went in at checked the one I had on hand that was organic. Its the same product, I treated my plants with this when I first heard about this blight. Perhaps they were already infected, because my efforts seemed to be in vein. I treated them with the chemical stuff last week, hoping to have saved the remainder of my crop. But their dead now.... :hit
This is an old post and thread. But I thought I'd revive it, because a lot of people in my region had late blight and lost ther tomato and/or potato plants. We did (both), here at our place. :(

This is a very widespread problem, due to the fact that blight is from airborne organisms and strikes when weather is muggy - warmish and humid. Or unusually rainy.

So I've been looking into management methods, and also for info about resistant (non-GMO) varieties. A fellow gardener told me about this study from Washington State University.
http://clark.wsu.edu/volunteer/mg/gm_tips/TomatoTrial.html
It was an experiment that brought together dedicated gardeners and university researchers. Together, they tested numerous tomato varieties for blight resistance. And they tested these varieties, and assessed their level of production.
http://clark.wsu.edu/volunteer/mg/gm_tips/TomatoTrialVarieties.html

Have a look. This could be helpful if you (or your neighbours) have had blight problems. It meanders through neighborhoods.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Fine, Thanks. I am doing fine but it's hot and dry here... :( What about you?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
s2.jpg

Pretty good as it goes, been busy.....

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Close enough! Shallots... $3 worth of seed some years ago, I keep the small ones from one year to another to re-seed. I planted 22 seeds this year, I think I might have just under 20 pounds. I see they are selling for $2.99 a pound locally.