Java. the end.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My sis is allergic to the cold. Seriously. She gets hives and has trouble breathing. She has to do antihistamines.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard of that before FF. Can't think of the name at the moment.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I didn't know you could be allergic to cold.....I always TEASE that I am.

We do have rain right now, so yes, the 70 degree weather comes with rain. I wish we could push all this cold weather over to where it is needed though.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I didn't know you could be allergic to cold.....I always TEASE that I am.

We do have rain right now, so yes, the 70 degree weather comes with rain. I wish we could push all this cold weather over to where it is needed though.
Believe me I DID tease her about it for years. I guess in reality it is a very serious thing. Something simple like stepping though the ice and into water can cause anaphylaxis reactions in some people with the allergy. Makes sense to me. I am allergic to bread, and NOT allergic to poison ivy and my sis is allergic to cold. :/

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's odd how allergies work. My sibs have no allergies at all. I have alot - seasonal, dust, etc. plus I am - as the doctor put it many years ago -'allergic to myself' :p There was no 'autoimmune' terminology when all this started for me as a kid. At least I have no food allergies or sensitivities.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I also have the autoimmune thing. The arthritis that I have is an autoimmune problem. Really hard to protect yourself from yourself. :/

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Really hard to protect yourself from yourself.
so true! And people don't get why summer is so bad for me. But it's OK, I'm used to it.

And in other farmette news...the cicadas are singing up a storm this week. I love, love, love that sound. And it signals that fall really is right around the corner and this heat will end.

I found one of my teeny tiny little sebrights sitting on a duck egg this morning. I wish I had a camera with me because it was hilarious. I don't know if she's broody or if it was accidental and she just happened to like the comfy nest the ducks made. She hasn't even started laying yet but she's close. She's got high hopes, I guess :lol:

The cukes are coming on strong now. Think I'll be making pickles soon, yay!
The broccoli is still spitting out side shoots and I am in disbelief! It seems unfazed by the heat. It was just a cheap pack I got at WalMart, didn't even have a label so I have no idea of the variety.
The tomatoes are OK, but not setting new fruit because of the heat, so once this first crop is gone it'll be awhile before I have more to eat. The peppers are doing well too. I'll have jalapeno poppers today.

:lol: and I have one beet and one swiss chard coming up - all that's left from the storms that washed my planted seeds out.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well I hope it isn't so hot today. You are allergic to yourself, they told me I'm allergic to my "world". We are good company. I'm all itchy today because somehow a mosquito somehow got me IN the house, THROUGH my sleep pants.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:barnie Blossom end rot on ALL of my peppers. 20+ pepper plants of different varieties - in 2 different gardens. I know it's supposed to be caused by calcium def., but I am sure this ridiculous weather set it off. We got so much rain last week and then it got hot. Plus something ate one of them down to a stub. :hit Sigh. And here comes more rain. Seriously, mother nature - there ARE areas that need rain.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sorry about your peppers. This has been one bad year for gardens. The rain has been missing us and we are thrilled to get some rain right now. All the bad stuff is missing us and we are getting a nice downpour. I hope it doesn't rain too much for you.