Java. the end.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Becca - Marans was the only color pattern that I thought came close too. But that gold head is just weird. And then hens don't have any red. It's just weird.

edit to add: in no way do I think these are Marans. They are mutts for sure :D There must have been a heck of an accident at the hatchery

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I would go back to TSC and pitch a fit. You put all that time and effort in to raising birds you don't want. They could at least give you a bag of feed for your trouble!

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a couple of chickens that are pretty ugly. I just figure they will make pretty eggs, so it will even out. And sometimes after the first molt they get their pretty feathers. I had a roo who turned into mega hottie once he molted. Now he's the prettiest thing ever.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They just aren't what I wanted. I wanted Black Australorps. It's a personal preference.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nope - sex-links are supposed to be barred, and these didn't have any defining colors as chicks. The males and females looked identical.

There were a couple threads at BYC trying to figure these out and nobody ever did that I know of...

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you know where TSC got them from? Last year I got chicks from TSC and they didn't know what they were. I found out the hatchery and it turned out that they were doing Leghorn mixes so my hens ended up being Leghorn mixes. They never said on their website what they were mixing them with but that is what I came up with.