Jelly for nutrition?

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I say put whatever you want away in storage, and also store some multivitamin pills, if you're worried about not getting vitamins. I mean, I would think that if I were desperate and needing to eat ANYthing I could, nutrition would be pretty far back in my mind. My mind isn't always very practical... ;) Personally, I'd rather just eat delicious jam and a vitamin C pill than swig pints of preserved citrus to keep healthy.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good point, ScottyG.

Which brings up another point about preserving food. And that is putting stuff by that your family will actually EAT.

For example, I didn't grow any squash this year, but my mom did. ANd knowing I have a deepfreezer and a canner, she gave me a lot. Thing is, my family doesn't care for them. I will eat them. And if I put enough cheese and meat in it to make a casserole, I can sometimes convince them to eat it. But they don't ask for it. Let's just put it that way.

Don't tell my mom, but my chickens ate like queens on the squash this summer. LOL I did freeze a bunch. I mean, in an emergency--you eat what you got. But, I have a feeling, next year when I'm rotating out, our chickens are going to have a few more bags of squash to gnosh on.

One of my goals for this winter is to make a list of all the stuff my family really likes so I can prepare for my garden next year. (Can hardly wait!)

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is so true guys
nutrition is why food was preserved...not just yummy jam on bread for us sweet freaks..LOL

but Cassandra is so right. store what will be eaten. to freeze or can tons of things no one enjoys, well, why use the power and space.

I did that with my fields, I started growing more for "what I like" then the customers..lol..that way I get what we want, and customers adapt and buy. So works out well.

grow what you love to eat!