Joel Salatin...a messy discussion

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
How about emailing him with a link to this thread -- just to let him know what we think about his policy....????
Oh, as if he'd give a fig :p

The thing about independant thinkers is that they tend to think independantly in their own personal way and not be concerned with what other people think of them... ;)

Pat

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, he does actually allow apprenticeships for women, just not year long. Near the bottom of the page you will find the summer apprenticships "Maximum number, 6 men, 2 women due to accommodation limitations. First come, first served."

I bet that it's due to those accomodation limitations that he doesn't allow year long female apprentices.

But, the way I see it, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but he doesn't actually have to allow anyone to apprentice, as it is, after all, his farm.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
independent thinking is fine.....doing business your own way is fine.

alienating paying customers --they realizing what an idiot someone can be is priceless

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
the way I see it, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but he doesn't actually have to allow anyone to apprentice, as it is, after all, his farm.
He is a very devout Christian. I can see not wanting to have groups of young people that might be tempted to engage in unchristian-like activities (like pairing off and hiding in the hay loft).

I think this shows there is a need for women to apprentice. So an enterprising female farm owner should offer year long options at HER farm.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
At first thought, I figured it had something to do with accommodations. I bet he has some kind of "dorm" for the interns, but doesn't want the ladies sharing a bathroom with the men. Maybe if a lady lived "off the farm" in her own place she could get an internship there.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly I think a person has the right to have whatever policies they want, be it out of principle or practicalities.

The guy is surely doing *at least* his share to help other people out, in so many ways... just cuz he does one thing you don't (without even knowing the rationale) like, or because he maybe has some political views or ways of expressing himself that rub the wrong way, does not IMHO diminish his HUGE contributions.

I really don't think he owes us anything :p, and I think he should do as he darn well sees fit with his beliefs and/or finances.

JMHO,

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I suppose we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater...

Perhaps he gets very few requests from women. I did not even know who this man was until I joined SS. :hu

I still would rather spend a week in beautiful WV and learn everything from Bee and the Bat! :p

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Of course I agree that it's his farm, and he has the right to have whatever policies he thinks are fitting.
I'm not diminishing in any way the good work he's doing, it's just a bit shocking.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
So the guy has some old fashioned values...what's wrong with that? I do believe that women are the weaker sex...and our society has paid enough already for the womens liberation crap...but that's just my opinion :/
All in all he has some very good information out there that is open to anybody who wants to read it.
I do agree women might possibly be less likely to apply for the year long apprenticeship..

But IF he is not giving the apprenticeships simply because of gender, it is wrong.

Bringing personal beliefs into business(that doesn't necessarily have to do with any of it) not only lacks class (in my opinion) but it is also backwards. It is mainly about raising animals - the animals don't care what gender you are. Although I suppose he is free to do that..

There is a fine line between 'old fashioned values' and sexism. Restricting someone because of gender is right along there with race, sexuality, religion (lack of), etc. I cannot see, in any way, how that has any positive affect on our society as a whole.

Then again I grew up being taught 'Good help is hard to find to begin with, who cares (if they are either gender)'.

I did go check out his website, not that I'm interested in raising my own cattle, but based on his requirements I probably wouldn't like him anyway (Or more so, he would not like me, refer to last two reqs).

"Bright eyed, bushy-tailed, self-starter eager-beaver situationally aware go-get-em, teachable, positive, non-complaining, grateful, rejoicing geterdone dependable, faithful, perseverant take-responsibility clean-cut, all American boy-girl appearance characters. We are very, very, very discriminatory."

...Really?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
has anyone asked or know why his policy on internship--men vs women is the way it is? Instead of just making assumptions, I'm sure he has a good reason. maybe we just should n't jump the gun and call him sexist, old fashioned etc. Maybe this is based on: 1-housing accomodations and: 2-interest or lack thereof in a yearlong internship from women.