Joel Salatin...a messy discussion

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
"Bright eyed, bushy-tailed, self-starter eager-beaver situationally aware go-get-em, teachable, positive, non-complaining, grateful, rejoicing geterdone dependable, faithful, perseverant take-responsibility clean-cut, all American boy-girl appearance characters. We are very, very, very discriminatory."

...Really?
And wouldn't you, if you were bringing people you didn't know from Adam onto your land, into your home, with your wife & children, entrusted with your animals care, for a summer or year's time?

I would, in a heartbeat. Granted, my guidelines might be different, but to each his own, right?

He probably wouldn't accept me either, what with the nose ring, tattoos & odd ear piercings.

Bingo, MTN. I agree.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Blackbird said:
"Bright eyed, bushy-tailed, self-starter eager-beaver situationally aware go-get-em, teachable, positive, non-complaining, grateful, rejoicing geterdone dependable, faithful, perseverant take-responsibility clean-cut, all American boy-girl appearance characters. We are very, very, very discriminatory."

...Really?
And wouldn't you, if you were bringing people you didn't know from Adam onto your land, into your home, with your wife & children, entrusted with your animals care, for a summer or year's time?

I would, in a heartbeat. Granted, my guidelines might be different, but to each his own, right?

He probably wouldn't accept me either, what with the nose ring, tattoos & odd ear piercings.

Bingo, MTN. I agree.
It also said 'Requires a 2-4 day checkout prior to acceptance.' after that.

I would call what you described as caution and a thorough screening processes.

Based on requiring someone to be clean-cut and all American boy-girl appearance characters, I'm thinking the discriminatory part of it might be about something else.

I agree they would need to get rid of those with negative attitudes, but I'm thinking that is what the checkout would be for. And no matter looks, gender, race, etc. -as you very well know- anyone can be negative.

And notice my previous post said 'IF he is not giving the apprenticeships simply because of gender'. I better go make that bold.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm more along the lines of supply and demand. i figure if more women were "demanding" so to speak, a year long internship, he would supply it--housing and all. After all, money has no gender. I think it's probably best not to jump to conclusions as to why he chooses to do what he does.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
golly - i think i'm just what he is looking for... 'cepting for the boobs and all.

i'm guessing this rules a lot of folks out:

non-complaining

and i'm guessing that he's trying to shake out all the rabid-animal rights, eco-terrorist, and weirdos. and yes thats painting with a broad brush but sometimes thats how it is. '

and i'm guessing there are a lot of folks who have a glamorous view of what farmin' is.. when in facts its mostly being covered in poop of all kinds. those of us who are currently covered in poop laugh at most of the people who think they can do the work. sure its fun for a day, by day two they are laggin, day three and they want to go home.

and maybe, if he is conservative, he doesnt want to put himself in a position where some gal says he was trying to grab her.... some call this 'avoiding the appearance of impropriety'

or maybe his wife is really jealous and doesnt want some sweet young thang parading around in her daisy dukes.

i think there could be a lot of reasons and my final thought is that its probably under the auspices of none-of-our-business??

:)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
golly - i think i'm just what he is looking for... 'cepting for the boobs and all.

i'm guessing this rules a lot of folks out:

non-complaining

and i'm guessing that he's trying to shake out all the rabid-animal rights, eco-terrorist, and weirdos. and yes thats painting with a broad brush but sometimes thats how it is. '

and i'm guessing there are a lot of folks who have a glamorous view of what farmin' is.. when in facts its mostly being covered in poop of all kinds. those of us who are currently covered in poop laugh at most of the people who think they can do the work. sure its fun for a day, by day two they are laggin, day three and they want to go home.

and maybe, if he is conservative, he doesnt want to put himself in a position where some gal says he was trying to grab her.... some call this 'avoiding the appearance of impropriety'

or maybe his wife is really jealous and doesnt want some sweet young thang parading around in her daisy dukes.

i think there could be a lot of reasons and my final thought is that its probably under the auspices of none-of-our-business??

:)
:lol: Great minds think alike!! I was just going to say that! :gig

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
have you been the malls lately!?!? wow!

i even have to tell my nieces when they come here:

1. you must wear underwear/bra
2. it must not show

and if they dont follow the rules they have to wear something of mine which normally results in screaming.

am i trying to control them? no

but

The Big Man is a good and decent man and he wants to be able to look at them when they are talking and not avoid looking at them because they have their girl bits hanging out.. and that would dishonor him.

i know i know.. crazy talk...

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gracious, I had no intention of starting such a kerfuffle :/

While I find his policy obnoxious regardless of the reason, I'm not suggesting that he should be forced to change. He is of course entitled to do his thing however he wants. I'm also entitled to think he's a doofus :p

I posted this bit of information because having more information is always good. Pweeese don't fight.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D We'll try.

I read that on the site this past fall, and said "Darn, yeah, I probably wouldn't work out. At all."

But yeah, he only has so much room, with that much demand for so little supply, he can afford to be as picky as he wants.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's a thought, the fact that he can afford to have a policy that ticks off a lot of us says something wonderful about the entire real food movement! He's got so much interest in what he's doing that he can afford to be a butt for whatever reason, and that can be seen as a very good thing :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Here's a thought, the fact that he can afford to have a policy that ticks off a lot of us says something wonderful about the entire real food movement! He's got so much interest in what he's doing that he can afford to be a butt for whatever reason, and that can be seen as a very good thing :D
You are just like my mom. You can make anything negative into a positive. :thumbsup Good point.

I still say us gals and anyone who doesn't fit his "all American and clean cut" image (myself included...yea! look I have two strikes!!) should bypass him and just do it ourselves. We are all the hard working types and aren't afraid to get dirty.

You don't have to be Beaver Cleaver to do what Joel is doing.