JRmom - Garden is in!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Woot!!!!!!!!!!! congrats on the seedlings!!!

To change the title just edit your first post it allows you to change the name there...

ps
:welcome

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
Woot!!!!!!!!!!! congrats on the seedlings!!!

To change the title just edit your first post it allows you to change the name there...

ps
:welcome
Thanks! We lived in Cincy for 3 1/2 years - moved back here about 6 years ago. My husband loved it there, I did too until the last winter... we moved in March and I couldn't get back to Florida sunshine soon enough! We still have good friends there - have been back for one visit.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Go to the first post you made on your journal, and hit the edit button. That will allow you to change the title.

Congrats on the seedlings!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is it normal to check on your seedlings every hour on the hour? :D They are very happy on the porch which has plastic covering the screen - it's almost 80 degrees out there today! Started some more little pots of Blanketflower. Figured I'd get some flowers growing to put in the garden also. I have plenty of bees around in the spring when the grapefruit tree is in bloom, but didn't see very many during the summer. Hopefully the flowers will attract them.

Beautiful here today! Clear and warm - I actually worked up a sweat when I walked the dogs.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Not in the least. That's completely normal.

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Check on them, talk to them, put the fan more directly on them, raise the light, lower the light, ask them if they are comfortable in there. Yep, perfectly normal! After all, they are like little green pets!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sheaviance1 said:
little green pets!
:gig :yuckyuck :gig

I'm so going to tell hubby that when he gripes about my seedlings covering our kitchen table for a month or so before planting...

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My first tomato seedlings are doing great - Amish Paste and Homestead.
2512_dscf0633.jpg

Spent the last 2 weekends getting the garden turned over - and almost doubling the size to approx. 280 sq. ft. Very sore from digging out established St. Augustine grass! I need a tiller. I hope to plant at least 20 tomato plants this year.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just had to shake my head over this. I have a close friend who has never "got" what I do - grow food (well, I'm learning), cook from scratch, can, etc. Her idea of a great dinner is a frozen Schwann's meat entree, a can of veggies, and those mashed potatoes from the dairy section. Whatever. She doesn't enjoy cooking like I do, so I don't comment on her meal choices. However, she never fails to make some sort of back handed comment about how I cook, even while she's scarfing down my home-cooked meal. :barnie Whatever. She doesn't get it.

A few months ago we were talking about the rising cost of groceries and stocking up. I was shocked that she was even thinking that way. My only advice to her was to think about what her and her husband like to eat, and use that as a guide for stocking up.

A few weeks ago she invited me to a "super couponing" class at her house. I declined, explaining that we don't eat that way. I've tried using coupons before, but the deals are never for food stuff we actually eat. My husband would go to bed hungry before eating boxed mac and cheese. He's weird that way. :D

Well, my friend is now gung-ho on couponing and won't let it go. She's bought enough canned goods to feed a small army for a year (of course, that's how they eat). All well and good. But she thinks my husband and I are going to starve because my pantry isn't filled with Del Monte canned goods. Of course, she totally overlooks all the "real" canned food I have put up, all the veggies in my freezer still from last summer's garden, and the stuff I stock up on from the grocery store: powered milk, flour, sugar, rice, etc. - staples that I can use to pull together a meal. She tried to argue her point by saying that if I was hungry enough, I would damn sure eat a can of Progresso soup. She's right. But that probably won't happen. I have enough chicken and veggie stock put back to make homemade soup for a year.

I spent $50 last weekend on composted cow manure for my garden. She freaked... do you know how many cans of food I could buy with that money!!! Good grief, she's gone from being completely uninterested in stocking up, to a raving lunatic. :th

Latest posts