JRmom - Garden is in!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, I have decided to use this much shorter list!

Name: Karen

Hometown: Knoxville, TN

Current Residence: Ocala, FL

Relationship Status: Married, 27 years

Family: I have one daughter (30) from my first marriage, and my husband has 2 sons from his first marriage (30 and 28). Between us, we have 6 grandchildren, plus one on the way. Plus our 2 Jack Russell kids. :D

Political Views: Conservative

Religious Views: I don't attend church, but I do have a keen interest in religion, science, and the universe, and how (in my view, anyway) science is proving the existence of a higher power.

Activities: I am a sun worshiper... boating, swimming, fishing are high priorities. I do love snow skiing, but my skis haven't been used in 6 years. Then again, I would have to endure the cold weather to ski (maybe I should just sell them).

Interests: Cooking, canning, gardening, antiques, Jack Russells

Favorite Music: Alternative

Favorite TV Shows: All-time favorites - The Sopranos, Seinfeld. Not much worth watching nowadays, but I do enjoy watching the Food Network.

Favorite Movies: I don't have a favorite. As long as it's well done, I enjoy almost all types of movies.

Favorite Books: Too many to list! I love to read, so again, as long as it's well written, I'll probably enjoy it (except for bodice-rippers - not my cup of tea).

About Me: I started on this self-sufficient journey 3 years ago, about the time I quit my full-time job and started freelancing (I'm a graphic designer). My income was greatly reduced for a while, so I started looking for ways to cut back my spending, which led to a realization that I had way too much "stuff" to begin with and was shopping to feel good. No more! Our purchases now are well thought out and are "essential".

I've always loved to cook, but another realization I had was about convenience food. Once I started making a conscious effort to cook everything from scratch, I realized it really doesn't take much more effort or time to create a fabulous meal with real ingredients. We are eating much better and my grocery bill is much smaller.

And cooking from scratch led to my first (in a long time!) vegetable garden last summer. It was a great learning experience and I'm itching to get started again this spring.

My big issue is our housing. We rent a house in town. We also bought a cabin in the National Forest 2 years ago, with the intention of eventually moving there full time. We spend every weekend there, and it's where my garden space is. We would move tomorrow, but it would be a 45 minute commute to work for my husband, and he is not willing to do that (at this point). So...we have a rent payment, a mortgage payment (small, but still), 2 electric bills, and 2 cable bills. Ugh! We have 9 more years on our cabin mortgage, and if we could move there permanently, I could make double payments and get it paid off early. I'm 49 and my husband is 55, so getting the cabin paid off early would be nice.

Okay, that's me in a nutshell. My plan for this journal is to use it to keep track of my gardening, and any other hair-brained schemes I may come up with! Oh, I should add that my husband is very supportive of everything I'm trying to do - he brags to anyone and everyone that I make my own laundry detergent.... yep, doesn't take much to excite him!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!!! Sounds like you are on you way to living a happy healthy life!!

And wow on the cabin!! Perhaps if you could show your dh the benefits financially of moving to the cabin full time??? He may be more interested. :hu

My dh has been commuting 80 miles 1 1/2 hr one way to his job for the past year. So 45 mins. really seems doable.

g

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Karen is the best name on the planet

it is my name also :lol: :lol:

journals are great to just chat about your life and you know what "category" it fits into hahaha

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Perhaps if you could show your dh the benefits financially of moving to the cabin full time??? He may be more interested.
I have put it all down on paper - how much we are spending now vs. how much to live at the cabin, and he understands and agrees about the stupidity of paying double bills. However, he does not want spend 1 1/2 hours each day driving (he's spoiled, right now it takes 10 minutes to drive to work). Plus he's worried about his vehicle. He has a old Ford pickup that he bought about 10 or 12 years ago that had been restored. It's okay for a weekly drive to the Forest, but he doesn't want to put that much more wear and tear on it. We are trying to save and find another affordable pickup. I think if we can find the right vehicle he would be more willing to move. I think his boss would be agreeable to a custom work schedule also - maybe a 4-day work week.

Of course if the economy gets any worse, we may have to move! ;)

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
JRmom said:
TanksHill said:
Perhaps if you could show your dh the benefits financially of moving to the cabin full time??? He may be more interested.
I have put it all down on paper - how much we are spending now vs. how much to live at the cabin, and he understands and agrees about the stupidity of paying double bills. However, he does not want spend 1 1/2 hours each day driving (he's spoiled, right now it takes 10 minutes to drive to work). Plus he's worried about his vehicle. He has a old Ford pickup that he bought about 10 or 12 years ago that had been restored. It's okay for a weekly drive to the Forest, but he doesn't want to put that much more wear and tear on it. We are trying to save and find another affordable pickup. I think if we can find the right vehicle he would be more willing to move. I think his boss would be agreeable to a custom work schedule also - maybe a 4-day work week.

Of course if the economy gets any worse, we may have to move! ;)
I went from driving, at most, ten minutes a day to work to driving half hour each way. I know it sucks :) I don't plan on buying my farm truck until I'm no longer working, that way I don't have to worry about that :)

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thought you all might enjoy seeing our "unique" cabin...

Kitchen - the cabin was built around an old Airstream travel trailer. The old camper is now the kitchen, with loads of storage. The bathroom is built at the end, off to the right.
2512_100_1146.jpg

Dining and living room (note the "funny page" wallpaper - previous owners found a ton of old newspapers dating from the 60's). You can also see part of the old Airstream (I have not got around to repainting yet - hate the pink and yellow!). All the old boards on the walls were salvaged from an old cracker house that is next door to us. Our friends bought that place and hate us now because we got all the great wood! LOL
2512_100_1149.jpg

2512_100_1151.jpg

2512_100_1152.jpg

Last summer's garden: blackeye peas started and my tomoatoes
2512_100_1557.jpg

2512_100_1559.jpg

And my favorite part the property, my grapefruit tree!
2512_img_2058.jpg

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow,what a neat looking place. So much character. I can understand your dh commute concerns. Its very different if your only driving on a highway.

Great pics thanks for sharing!!

g

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
JRmom said:
Thought you all might enjoy seeing our "unique" cabin...

Kitchen - the cabin was built around an old Airstream travel trailer. The old camper is now the kitchen, with loads of storage. The bathroom is built at the end, off to the right.
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/2512_100_1146.jpg

Dining and living room (note the "funny page" wallpaper - previous owners found a ton of old newspapers dating from the 60's). You can also see part of the old Airstream (I have not got around to repainting yet - hate the pink and yellow!). All the old boards on the walls were salvaged from an old cracker house that is next door to us. Our friends bought that place and hate us now because we got all the great wood! LOL
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/2512_100_1149.jpg
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/2512_100_1151.jpg
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/2512_100_1152.jpg

Last summer's garden: blackeye peas started and my tomoatoes
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/2512_100_1557.jpg
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/2512_100_1559.jpg

And my favorite part the property, my grapefruit tree!
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/2512_img_2058.jpg
Wow, that is awesome! If I didn't want an underground I'd want something like that!

Course, I also want my underground house to be two stories :D Are they called stories if it's underground or just levels? Either way, thats what I want! :D

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah! Happy dance, happy dance! :weee I have seedlings! My first time ever trying to start my own seeds - 12 tomato seedlings up - 6 Amish Paste and 6 Homestead. They are hanging out in the warm kitchen window until hubby gets my grow light installed tonight. I'm soooo excited! Still waiting on another variety of tomotoes (6 Green Salad) and 6 Pepper plants.

Can someone tell me how to change the title of this journal? Thanks.