JRmom - Garden is in!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Funny you mention mashed potatoes - I think that was the food that finally sent me to the SS side of the aisle :D One day I peeked at the ingredients and almost passed out. I just couldn't believe it took that much crap to make mashed potatoes. I always hated making them because of the peeling, but I'm over it now.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
JRmom said:
I just had to shake my head over this. I have a close friend who has never "got" what I do - grow food (well, I'm learning), cook from scratch, can, etc. Her idea of a great dinner is a frozen Schwann's meat entree, a can of veggies, and those mashed potatoes from the dairy section. Whatever. She doesn't enjoy cooking like I do, so I don't comment on her meal choices. However, she never fails to make some sort of back handed comment about how I cook, even while she's scarfing down my home-cooked meal. :barnie Whatever. She doesn't get it.

A few months ago we were talking about the rising cost of groceries and stocking up. I was shocked that she was even thinking that way. My only advice to her was to think about what her and her husband like to eat, and use that as a guide for stocking up.

A few weeks ago she invited me to a "super couponing" class at her house. I declined, explaining that we don't eat that way. I've tried using coupons before, but the deals are never for food stuff we actually eat. My husband would go to bed hungry before eating boxed mac and cheese. He's weird that way. :D

Well, my friend is now gung-ho on couponing and won't let it go. She's bought enough canned goods to feed a small army for a year (of course, that's how they eat). All well and good. But she thinks my husband and I are going to starve because my pantry isn't filled with Del Monte canned goods. Of course, she totally overlooks all the "real" canned food I have put up, all the veggies in my freezer still from last summer's garden, and the stuff I stock up on from the grocery store: powered milk, flour, sugar, rice, etc. - staples that I can use to pull together a meal. She tried to argue her point by saying that if I was hungry enough, I would damn sure eat a can of Progresso soup. She's right. But that probably won't happen. I have enough chicken and veggie stock put back to make homemade soup for a year.

I spent $50 last weekend on composted cow manure for my garden. She freaked... do you know how many cans of food I could buy with that money!!! Good grief, she's gone from being completely uninterested in stocking up, to a raving lunatic. :th
I would say that the cause might rest partially with you :D Unfortunately, she took the info you've been giving her, either verbally or by example, and went in the wrong direction with it :) But, at least she's doing something :) It might not be a good something by our standards, but it is a step :thumbsup Good job! :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
YOu know, I kinda agree with Colowy, --some of what you had said might have rubbed off on her. She's starting where most people start. She will evolve. When I started in the frugal department, I looked at couponing, soon figured out that what the coupons offered wasn't what I wanted to eat. Then I started shopping the flyers. Whatever was on sale, i stocked up on. I still do that to an extent. But now, I grow/raise most of my own, so I don't depend too heavily on sales much anymore. And more recently I changed what I do buy at the grocery stores to organic etc, and themost of stuff I buy doesn't go on sale.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
At least she's trying. New converts to anything tend to think everyone should do it, too. When my kids were little I did the coupon thing and found that I had stuff a year old that no one was ever going to eat because we didn't like it! Ibought it because it was on a coupon and we "might" eat it.

The food we eat now doesn't even seem to go on sale except rarely. Like flour at Christmas for baking.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow you still have veggies in the freezer from last summer's harvest! I can't wait until I can say that.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Close call, but hubby saved the day. I've been setting my tomato plants out everyday, and since I plan on getting them into the ground Friday afternoon, I decided to start leaving them out overnight until then. Well, we woke up to our first spring thunderstorm in the middle of the night. Hubby went out into the pouring rain and rescued the poor tomatoes - they were a bit beat up, but after being back under the light they have recovered. Whew!

Hubby is the best. He also built two potato cages last weekend. Got those planted and fingers are crossed.

Got all of the cow manure worked into the garden. My back is thankful that job is done. Planted 6 yellow squash and 6 zucchini (bush type - first time trying this variety). That is a lot of squash for only 2 people, but we love it and can eat it at every meal. Hope to get everything else planted this weekend. Irrigation project is next. Hubby has an idea for using PVC that can be easily broken down when I need to clear the garden out. I used soaker hoses on a timer last year but one of them didn't last the season.

I guess I have been an inspiration - a friend of ours is putting in a garden this year! He is a true Florida Cracker type person who grew up with a garden. I can't wait to see how well he does (and what we can trade :D). He is serious about it - he spent all last weekend putting up a six foot fence to keep the deer out.

Must, must, must do something with my grapefruit! I don't have much freezer room left (last year I froze a ton of juice), so I need to at least get some more jelly made (and use a bunch of the fruit for homemade sangria!). Can't even give the darn things away.

Have been researching the "fruit cocktail" tree. I think I want one. So far, all the nurseries I found within driving distance that sell them are already sold out, so maybe I'll put a deposit on one for next year. I'd like one that produces oranges, lemons and limes. I also have a BIL that is a citrus grove manager. Maybe he can graft one for me??? Need to remember to ask him.

Another friend (the hubby of the coupon queen) is giving me a composter! Yipee! Right now I have a pile in the corner of our property, and another compost pile in a homemade container that is hard to work. This should make composting a lot easier - and look a lot better.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I have to say, I am jealous of anyone who can actually grow "food" trees outside. I would love to have avocado and citrus trees!

Sounds like you are well started, and good for hubby for his rescue! I can't wait until the snow and ice stop.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Can't even give the darn things away.
If I sent you a FEDEX shipping label (on my account) could you send some to me??? :D

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Can't even give the darn things away.
If I sent you a FEDEX shipping label (on my account) could you send some to me??? :D
I would LOVE to, but I think there is still a ban (sort of) on shipping fruit out of state - you have to be a certified inspected nursery or grower to ship out. Citrus canker threat.