Just a couple of chicken questions...well, I moved the broodies

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about chickens that I would rather ask here than at BYC. I'm more comfortable with you guys since these are such basic questions.

1. I have a very broody dominique. She waits until someone else lays eggs and then she sets on them. A friend of mine has some banty eggs. Would it be OK for her to hatch them since they are so small?

2. If I do let her set on the eggs, do I have to seperate her from the rest of the flock? Their nest boxes are milk crates. I don't have anywhere else to put her. The chicks will go back at 1-2 days old.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I think it would be fine to give her the bantam eggs to hatch.

Our personal experience has been that it is best to either separate the broody or keep her in an enclosed area.

We do this because -
no other hen will lay eggs in the nest
none of the broody eggs will be destroyed
the broody doesn't have to worry about fighting with other hens to get to the feed and water

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
keljonma said:
I think it would be fine to give her the bantam eggs to hatch.

Our personal experience has been that it is best to either separate the broody or keep her in an enclosed area.

We do this because -
no other hen will lay eggs in the nest
none of the broody eggs will be destroyed
the broody doesn't have to worry about fighting with other hens to get to the feed and water
Kel,
we have 2 nest boxes available in her side. The feed and water is within 2 ft. of the boxes. Would that make a difference?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When I leave a broody in with the flock, she gets up to eat or drink and someone usurps her nest to lay an egg. When she turns back and finds someone on her nest, she just gets on another nest. The eggs stand a chance of getting damaged in the melee and not getting good, steady coverage. And your broody may get confused and give up the nest.

A broody doesn't take up space like regular chickens, as they hardly get two feet from the nest. If you can find her a corner of your garage or shed and move her and the eggs at night, she will do better than being in with your flock.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In my experience, it is much better to move her and the eggs to a "safe place" This way there wont be a staggered hatch. Once the eggs start hatching...she will give up on the few that were layed later...and HAD a chance. Have fun with your broody...I just love letting nature do her thing!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
OK, now this leads to another question:

If I move her, do I have to put the original milk crate nest in with her, or can I just make up a new nest, put the eggs in it and let her do her thing?

I have a pretty large wire cage that will be big enough for an improvised nest, water, food and a little stretch her wings area. I can put it in the coop halway with some paper under it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Ditto what has already been said. This year, we moved our broody at night from her egg-laying nesting box to her brooding box (cardboard lined with straw) in another room. She stayed :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Broody hens are such a joy, but they are not cut from the same mold. Iv'e had a broody who, even though we moved her at night, she wouldn;t stay on the eggs. Others have. So I would say, if you can move her crate with her to another place, do that. and do it at night, like 10 pm--after she has been sleeping a bit. Yes, you can put bantam eggs in with standard eggs, I'm not sure, but I think banty eggs hatch sooner? If she's a good broody, she should know which ones are gonna hatch and stay with them. My one broody tossed out all bad eggs, the other sat on two eggs three days past their hatch date before she got frustrated and left. those eggs were duds. Also, if you don;t have anywhere else to put her, can you sort of block her off so the others leave her alone? We did that once.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Yes, you can put bantam eggs in with standard eggs, I'm not sure, but I think banty eggs hatch sooner?
Bantum eggs are the same incubation period as regular chicken eggs.

(I had to do some research on this first). Funny I hatch regular size eggs and banty eggs under my Silkie hens all the time and never really paid much attention to see if the smaller eggs hatched first.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always had a "mom to be" area. Separate from the rest.....so all to be moms had their own space.

Move the nest and let her have some space...like everyone said, good advice.