Just a couple of chicken questions...well, I moved the broodies

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You can move her to a completely different nest if you do it at night. I use a flashlight, a towel and a helping hand to carry eggs for me. I just sneak into the coop, put a towel over her, carry her to the new nest, while someone is putting her eggs in the new nest. I just put her on the nest, drape the nest box with the towel to make it nice and dim the next morning. I check about mid-morning and the hen is contentedly back to her job of sitting.

I have one sitting right now who isn't a bit hard to encourage to eat and drink....makes me wonder if she will do a successful hatch, as she doesn't seem as dedicated to the eggs as my other broodies.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We have a large wood nest we use for broody and her chicks. It used to be attached to a wall in the barn. So we use cardboard to close up the back of the nest when it is in use. You could even use just a cardboard box, if that is what you have. We put wood shavings and straw down in the bottom. Make sure water, food, grit and oyster shell are nearby. A good broody won't poo in her nest area, so try to have a place nearby with bedding for her droppings.

We've found if we left the hen in the barn with the rest of the flock, she would be going out into the farmyard or back pasture to get away from the other hens. So we've always brought it into our laundry/mud room.

Lou with her first chick

LouherfirstchickAug142007.jpg

Lou with her 5 adopted chicks (Quail_Antwerp might recognize these chicklettes)

Louwithchicksb22Jul2008.jpg

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses. I have learned so much from you wise folk.

I offered my broody hen's services to my friend. He's just waiting a couple of days to see if his little banty hen goes back to the nest.

I'll let ya'll know what she decides. :rolleyes:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It is a good idea to move them if possible to a new nest with new nesting materials. Also it is beneficial to sprinkle some DE under the nest. I have had broodies pick up mites when they sat on a dirty nest.

Be sure where ever you move her too is very safe and secure. A broody hen is literally a "sitting duck" (er.. chicken) for predators. Even a rat can cause some great damage.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Be sure where ever you move her too is very safe and secure. A broody hen is literally a "sitting duck" (er.. chicken) for predators. Even a rat can cause some great damage.
I found that this cage also needs to be snake proof. I had a broody in a cage made of chicken wire one time, and when the eggs were supposed to be hatched I checked them, and they were gone! The only thing it could have been was a snake. I rigged up another cage (snake proof), and put a new clutch of eggs under her, and she made it all happen. That snake needed a :smack.

That was one fine broody.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
My friend finally brought me some eggs to hatch. They are Ameraucana (forgotten how to spell it :/ ) eggs. I believe there are 18.

Good thing, because now I have 3 broody hens. I have fixed 3 "broody condos" in the hallway of the cabin coop. I had to move all the feed canisters outside to make room.

This is the 3 Dominiques that share the same nest with a Black Australorpe butting in. Funny thing, because there is an empty nest box right beside them.
177_broody3.jpg

This is my broody buff:
177_broodybuff.jpg

These are the "condos" that I fixed for them. After I put them in tonight, I will put the food and water in.
177_broodboxes.jpg

The eggs are already numbered so I will record which eggs go under each hen and hope nature has a successful outcome.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Cute photos!!

It does'nt matter to me, but here is how I remembered to spell Ameraucauna...Amera u cauna, I just kept saying it outloud Amera YOU cauna.

(I'm getting 10 more Amera YOU cauna chicks this weekend!)

Good luck with your georgous hens and soon to be chicks!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Cute photos!!

It does'nt matter to me, but here is how I remembered to spell Ameraucauna...Amera u cauna, I just kept saying it outloud Amera YOU cauna.

(I'm getting 10 more Amera YOU cauna chicks this weekend!)

Good luck with your georgous hens and soon to be chicks!!
Thanks, BBH. Good way to remember. But, the deal for hatching the eggs is that he must take them back. I don't have room for more chickens at the moment.

Congrats on your chicks!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks! I wish my hens would have been broody b/c I could have had them sit the eggs that have been in the bator. It would have been so much cheaper to buy fertile eggs rather than chicks! But my hens are career women, not moms. :lol:

They don't think they are capable of both jobs.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Well, last night we moved our three broodies. My buff was pretty calm and took the move quite well.

The first Dominique was a little upset, but otherwise was OK with it, too.

Now, the second Dominique was pretty pee-od. She pinched the heck out of my hand. She was pacing back and forth when we left.

This morning, all is well except for that 2nd Dominique. She has made no attempt to settle her nest in. The eggs are scattered.

Should I give her more time or go ahead and put her eggs under the other 2 hens?