Just curious, what's the weather like where you;re at.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey DM what gives with this weather? This blows! I have stressed myself out to the max about my poor animals. Where is the "mild, maritime Puget Sound weather" that I was promised?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
NE Ohio here and it is thundering and lightning!! It is so dark and dreary out! Strange weather! Lots of thunder!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
cloudy and 52* down right cold for us!

Supposed to rain for the next 4 days.......my plan?A fire, something yummy simmering on the stove, Christmas music and movies!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Hey DM what gives with this weather? This blows! I have stressed myself out to the max about my poor animals. Where is the "mild, maritime Puget Sound weather" that I was promised?
Yeah . . . no one is prepared for it. That is the problem when we get it, we aren't prepared, and for the most part don't know what to do. :gig The weather forecaster types also told us it would be a dry and warmer winter, remember? :lol: Now they are saying that won't start until January? :gig

I'm really glad we insulated our chicken coop. Those birds have it better than we do. :p

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
We have sunny and 32 degrees :/
Just had a few rainy days so I guess it's better. I got to get to the store so it's time to put on the thermal underwear. My parka is nice and toasty, but short- so my legs still freeze. :rolleyes:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
A balmy 11 here in Missouri with a coating of ice topped by powdery snow everywhere. More ice and snow expected and the local forecast for tonight features such cheerful words as "fridged" and "dangerous wind chills". :/

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
54 Sunny - Kind of breezy - :hide

The temp is suppose to be dropping and we should experience much cooler weather as the day goes on. ( I doubt that much cooler will compare with that balmy 11 in Missouri)

Much better than the storm system that moved through last night with all the rain, high wind and tornado warnings.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The best thing about Missouri is that we will get those tornados too! :thumbsup

We just have to wait until March or April for them to start.

And then in July or August it is usually around 100 with 90 percent humidity!

YEA! :sick

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
big brown horse said:
Yeah . . . no one is prepared for it. That is the problem when we get it, we aren't prepared, and for the most part don't know what to do. :gig The weather forecaster types also told us it would be a dry and warmer winter, remember? :lol: Now they are saying that won't start until January? :gig

I'm really glad we insulated our chicken coop. Those birds have it better than we do. :p
Just think neighbor girls, it would have to warm up to snow. Too bad it didn't snow before it froze since the snow is a kind of insulator. But then again, I'm still having nightmares from last winters snowfall. Even my kids got tired of it!! We got snow every month from Nov. till May. It didn't always last more than an hour, but fell just the same-except that 2+week stint in Dec. YIKES! I prefer the "normal" years of the worst snow not lasting longer than 2 days at most or even years without any snow.

As for my chickens, I go out every morning to check on them and exchange the ice block for warm water (it's usually cold within 10 min), check the feed and give them some breakfast treats since it's so cold and I pray I don't find them frozen to the roost. Usually when I go out there in the am, they all rush me to get out in stampede fashion. The last few days, they've been taking their time to get outside. When they do, they look more like flamingos in the yard standing on one foot. :lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just came back in from doing rounds in the barn. when I was walking back to the house, I was literally forced to stand still. the wind is soo fierce, I couldn't move, until the gust broke. MAN, it's windy out there!!!