Just getting started - Newbie alert :) (2 new questions p9)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am VERY happy to report progress with my tomatoes!! Woo hoo! I picked 5 today and only tossed one rotten one to the chickens and had one to be cut pretty quick. 2 out of 5 lost is a lot better than only keeping 2 out of 5!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, and I am very excited! I had to have a basket with me today to carry stuff in, first time since I have had this garden! Couple of cucumbers, bunch of peppers, the tomatoes, some squash and the last of my green onions.

I have some awesome compost going, and it is just begging for July to get here so I can plant okra and pumpkins! :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If I have a "slow" compost pile, with lots of large sticks and branches that are going to take a while and not heat up well, I usually plant squash, or cucumbers all around the compost cage and then just allow the vines to crawl over the top of it. It is a good way to keep using the space for production and hide an eyesore as well.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
If I have a "slow" compost pile, with lots of large sticks and branches that are going to take a while and not heat up well, I usually plant squash, or cucumbers all around the compost cage and then just allow the vines to crawl over the top of it. It is a good way to keep using the space for production and hide an eyesore as well.
What a good idea! I'm going to do that.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
Farmfresh said:
What a good idea! I'm going to do that.
Ditto!
I have a great little compost pile... the one I started end of last year and used most of this go around. I am hoping to go this weekend for a truckload of oak leaves to start a new one (already have PLENTY of horse manure lol ) so that is a definite good idea!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My tomatoes have gone crazy! Woo hoo!

I still have the occasional rotten spot, but generally it is ok to just cut out.

New question that will astound with it's ignorance :)

How do I know when my peas are ready to pick? They are pretty big (long) but skinny. I have pink eye purple hulls and crowder peas.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I would use that horse manure as a side dressing, even if it is fairly fresh it will work for that IF you keep it back from the plants. The best thing to do with horse manure is to heap it all over the garden in the fall (after growing season) and let it rot in all winter long, then till it in in the Spring. Do that and MAN OH MAN you will have a garden next spring.

I would use those leaves as mulch and just let them rot in place. Compost piles are work - why work harder than you have to? ;)

The only things I really compost are veggie trimmings (like corn husks), weeds that may sprout again if left in the garden row, and berry prunings cut small. Weeds that are leafy and without seeds or rooty stems are left in the garden row as mulch. :)

As for your peas... they should be full and round and for the black eyes and crowders the hulls start slightly getting dryer. Best bet is to pick a few and open them in the garden until you get the feel for what they look like when mature.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AL, why are you waiting until July to plant Okra? Ours is already up about 1 foot tall, and our neighbor's is about 3 feet tall already (he got an earlier start).

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My number 1 lesson in planting a garden was to make the rows wider LOL... therefore, I really can't put manure around plants and it not touch (yes, they are that close :rolleyes: ). Duly noted on the spreading it and leaving it over fall.... I am all about letting stuff happen on its own ! See, a compost pile is only work if you do it right :D

Ok I checked the little bowl of peas I picked this morning and mostly the hulls are not drying at all. Some are full enough you can see the peas in them... but I think I will wait a couple of days to be sure.

KC - because I am a completely ignorant, total blank slate when it comes to knowing when and how to plant stuff! ;)
I also kind of dread it. Just the leaves of the zuccini plants cause bright red, itchy rashes on my arms - and my dad said he had such a bad reaction to okra one time he thought they were going to put him in the hospital.
But I sure do love me some fresh fried / boiled okra!