Just out of curiosity.....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
mlynd said:
now how much land would we need :)
1.488 acres? Well...that's what i have anyway and at least for now it has to do :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We could do all of that on less than 3 acres, except the beef calf....but we get it very cheap so its easier to do that...... :)

ETA: Including the gardens, orchards, and berry patches.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think I could do it all on 4 acres. I want a big pond. :D

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 1.84 acres and on it we have house 900 sq ft and garage 600sq ft one storage building that is 250 sq ft a small garden right now a chicken yard and house 8 x8 ft. I have 14 chickens and one rabbit right now, want to get at least 3 goats , 5 more rabbits and some turkeys maybe a pig ( I hate them:rant:rant ) wondering how much I can really do here ??? we are a family of 7 when my son is home LOL

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I could probably make it work on 5ac.. but in order to cut our own hay and grow feed for the critters we figured 20-30ac would be preferable.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have 5 acres. But 1/3-1/2 of my property is a wide and deep gully. Evenyually we plan to run fencing down threw there and that will be the goat pasture.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i think "space needed" will also have alot to do with what animals your raising and your climate too
a cow requires ALOT more land dedicated to feeding it than a couple of rabbits ect...

pigs if left to raise themselves more naturally (not being finnished fast for the table) are actually incredibly efficient, theyll eat anything quite literally so dont realy need an acre dedicated to growing their food, theyll take the spoils from your table the cutoffs and bruised form the garden, the grubs and the dirt itself ect..

and if you live in places where year round pasture isnt doable, then youve got to think about winter feed and storing that too which changes your needs.