Just out of curiousity

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How does one prepare for martial law? Like if some guy declared a national emergency and then decided to make himself supreme dictator.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
How does one prepare for martial law?

Prepare to die. Once you've done that, then and only then can you live freely, no matter what threat comes from mankind. Once you are not afraid of dying, there's really nothing they can do to you that has any true affect on you.

Anything else is pretty futile and is much like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Prepare to die. Once you've done that, then and only then can you live freely, no matter what threat comes from mankind. Once you are not afraid of dying, there's really nothing they can do to you that has any true affect on you.

Anything else is pretty futile and is much like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Bee, this has to be the most profound post I've read in the last year. Thank you so very much for these wise words.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sometimes, when I'm putting some more filled jars on my shelves, I wonder who will be living in this house and eating this food. Will it be me and my family? Or someone that comes along and finds an empty, overlooked house?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
good idea if you aren't starving. If I was starving and I found a cache, I'd probably try to eat them anyway. If you boil stuff for 15 minutes or so, it's supposed to neutralize the toxins from botulinum (the bacteria themselves get wiped out when they hit the hydrochloric acid in your stomach)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Band together with neighbors, there is strength in numbers. Hunker down, don't draw attention to yourselves. Maybe that would work, maybe not.

There is a member on TEG that was a child in WW2. He and his family lived in the woods for 2 years, hiding from the German soldiers. He doesn't talk much about it, but every now and then a sentence or two slips out. He was hiding in a wood pile and saw soldiers haul a farmer and his wife outside and shoot them both. They survived starvation, snow and cold and running for their lives.

So you would need to be able to run, leaving "things" behind. Grab your family, what you could carry and hide.

My hope would be that Texas would form her own country again but it would be won by blood.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife and I have already planned best we can... We both have stocked bugout bags, tent is by the front door and spot picked out deep in the woods. That's the best we could do.

After hiking to our deep woods destination.
#1 would be to set up camp.
#2 would be water/hunt/fish.
#3 whatever has to be done I guess...

It's a sobering thought.