Just out of curiousity

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a meetup spot... well we did, then we heard these radio personalities talking about the best "bug out" spots in NH and they named our spot! Well, really close to our spot anyway, enough that we have reconsidered that place! Ugh!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH used to carry a bug-out bag in his car when he commuted. Mostly just water, power bars, a firearm and things he would need if he were to have to hoof it with his diabetes.

I'm not going anywhere, lol. DH's health would be prohibitive. We live on a dead end road. We're well armed with plenty of ammo and the same can be said for most of the folks that live on our little road. We've got water, livestock and a well-stocked pantry.

Could I die here defending myself - quite possibly. But, also quite possible that I could die here from falling down the stairs, lol!

DelcoMama82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The owners had been dead and gone for over 5 yrs.
My husband and I happened upon an entire shelf in our basement filled with gallon jugs of wine, hot sauce, vinegar, etc. They have to be from the previous owners, though my husband lived in this house for almost 10 years before I happened upon them.
The wine was gross... we were too afraid to try anything else.
The idea of getting my home “gun ready” terrifies me, I honestly hope no one here ever encounters a time when this kind of living is necessary.
I’d be more concerned about living sustainably, growing, hunting, butchering, foraging for my family’s food. Living off the land, reusing what resources we have, building a community that helps one another, trades, works together, etc.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But it's a very sobering question that I don't know how to answer. I should probably give it more thought instead of giving a flippant answer.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I can't add much to this conversation as the possibility of something like that happening here, the way things are going and have been going for some years now, is very slim. So I never thought of it and "what if"... That said, this is a good conversation topic with good (and sobering) thoughts expressed here!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sometimes, when I'm putting some more filled jars on my shelves, I wonder who will be living in this house and eating this food. Will it be me and my family? Or someone that comes along and finds an empty, overlooked house?

When we moved into this house in 2010, I found old canned goods in a closet. As they weren't labeled, dated or anything, I thought it best to feed them to the dump.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I personally moved across country to live in a place where i knew i wouldnt have to worry about fighting this type of thing alone. A good gun loving and gun rights state. Safety in numbers.
As a veteran i also agree that the military will not follow any illegal orders.
Civil war is a bigger concern in my mind

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Protect your right to own fire arms. People don't realize that gun ownership provides protection from invasion from outside the country, as well as within. When Japan was considering a land invasion of USA, they decided against it b/c the citizens were too well armed, or so the story goes. Use your voting rights to protect your gun rights.

Giving up gun ownership places every American one step closer to the reality of dictatorship, marshal law, and outside invasion. Also, who is the petty criminal going to target? The home that is protected, or the home where the home owner is a sitting target?