Just saw on the news.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I don't care if my neighbor was hanging his Nazi flags on his line....I would merely look over and think, "Hmmm, must be pretty sensible to line dry instead of using his dryer!" :lol: :p :coolsun
I would make sure my Israeli flag was flying high....

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Most shocking to me is this happening these days! Are people not making the connection between energy issues here and hanging clothes on the line being one great way to save some energy? Duh!

SO GLAD to be out in the country where nobody can see and comment on that I hang clothes out, burn wood, use ugly newspaper for mulch, only flush toilets occasionally, can food, blah, blah...

Homesteadmamma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I haven't hung clothes to dry since I lived with my grandparents. I wanted a clothes line here, but since we just bought the house and have been fixing up other things, I have to wait till spring.

I also wanted to say that the guy who is complaining is a real jerk. People like that are the ones who make up the "no chickens in the city no matter how large your property is" rule.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
coopy said:
I saw this on television and had to share it with you all. There is some fella that wants to stop people from hanging their laundry out side. Can you believe that! As crazy as it sounds it's true. They interviewed the man. Can't remember his name. Just that he doesn't want people to hang their clothes out. He thinks it is unsightly.
That is absurd. This guy is obviously one those "elitists". This is a good example why I NEVER want to live in a homeowners association.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The guy who has issues with outside clothes lines, would probably also have issues with compost piles, wood piles that were not artisticaly stacked, and lawns that were not manacured at least once a week to keep them within 1/2 inch of their "perfect" length. He also (probably) spouts off about how "we need to get off our addiction to carbon based fuels" and go solar and wind. But he would not want any of the solar or wind generating equipment or transmission equipment within his viewing area either! Some people don't get it! Sometimes we need to give up a little in the area of esthetics in order to help with a bigger picture. Many of us do lots of little things each day to save energy and conserve where we can. We do it quietly as a part of our every day lives.

You have the "Not in My Backyard" crowd that opposes at every turn the things we need to do to get energy independence. They fight wind turbines because they might injure some birds or create "esthetics issues". They have problems with large solar arays because of one species or another and the transmission lines from both large solar and wind projects are taboo as well, for esthetic reasons. It seems like they want each of us to have our own, little generating station on our property (as long as no one can see it and no animals might ever be injured). This is obviously impossible, because most people in the US have little or no land and if they did, they could not afford the cost of getting and maintaining the equipment needed to produce power.

You also have the idiots that are full of hot air, making alot of money, spouting off about our being "fossile fuel junkies" and trying to sell us carbon credits as they get into their big suv's (or worse yet, jets) so they can travel to their next lucrative, guilt laden lecture. If anyone talks to me about carbon crdits, I tell them I have been planting my own "carbon credits" on my little 3/4 acre lot. Since I moved on to it in 1999,we have planted 40 pine trees, 5 fruit trees, 4 deciduous trees any numerous shrubs. If the people who were blathering about carbon based energy, would put their money where their mouth was, and just adjusted their life style to use less, it would be easier to believe the hype that they are spouting. I think I will go and hang the last load of laundry on the clothes lines in my basement (my dryer gets almost no use) because it is too dark to hang it on the clothes line I have out side!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey Neko-Chan, I think you are a very cool chick. :D However not all Americans are aloof. I've lived in three different states during my 40 years here on this earth. I have moved many times within the three states. I can name each and every neighbor I've ever had. ;) I got along with 99% of them (The 1%-er guy tried to push Amway on me way too many times and I finally asked him to stop coming over to my house...but that was a fluke.)

Neighbor relations are very important in my book...and it seems that my many different neighbors all agreed. I actually think they are more important than average friends.

Anyway, all the places we lived we always had a "solar clothes dryer" and so did many of our neighbors. We were considered middle class too. In TX you could dry your entire load in under 10 minutes it seemed. Dryers took forever compared to the TX sunshine. :p

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Just reinforces my notion that Americans have become a bunch of whiney complainers with nothing better to do than mind someone else's business. The man needs to get a life...maybe two!
This may not be the most eloquent way to express my feelings on what has happened to this country (the USA), but...

This country needs an enema. :somad

We need to flush out a lot of these cr@ppy people so that people will learn to take care of their own lives, and leave everyone else alone to take care of their own.

Ok, rant over. I apologize for my lack of tact.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I live in a subdivision that has a no laundry line rule. I break that rule every weekend. It's easier hiding the line behind our 8 foot fence when leaves are on the trees and I have peas or beans growing up the garden trellises, but fortunately nobody has turned us in this winter.

I'm hoping that the neighborhood nazis don't take exception to the rabbit hutch I'm planning on building this spring. There is no rule against having rabbits, but they made our next door neighbor take down a very nicely done pen and run they set up in their back yard. Something about not allowing outbuildings. :/

Here, the neighbors are not generally the problem, but the Neighborhood Association has some hired group that drives around regularly and looks for stuff to get you on. Last year they cited a bunch of us for letting "moss" grow on our wooden mailbox posts. It was actually lichens, and I hated having to scrape them off; I thought they were kind of neat looking. (Hope they don't notice all the lichens growing on the tree bark...)

Of course, you note that I complain about the neighborhood nazis, but haven't actually DONE anything about their silly opinions. I guess it's kinda like voting: if you don't vote (or, in this case, take action), you really don't have a right to complain. :cool: