Just saw on the news.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is a good thing I live on the outskirts of very small rural town and my closest neighbor is a good distance away because not only would people be complaining about my hanging my laundry but definitely watering my lawn if the urge hits me. :hide

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to live under an HOA that didn't allow clotheslines, outside animals of any kind, or even for your tires to be off the driveway.

They would probably be aghast at my home right now ... Down to the baling wire that patches sections of field fencing, barrels in use for goose nests, and rabbit hutches currently shielded with tarps and old moving blankets.

Oh well, at least I hang my undies on the center wire, with other clothes shielding them from view.

But I like my neighbors here. I know most of them, their kids, their dog's names, what they do for a living, what their current SS project is, and we do look out for each other. Most places I've had some nice neighbors here and there, but I am really glad most of my road shares my feelings on things and we look to help each other. And I haven't been here a year yet.

I don't miss the old fancy lifestyle though. Seems a million years ago ... In a galaxy far, far away.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
And the aloofness comment comes from traveling mostly (not just the neighbors). American airports (the big ones at least) suck when it comes to people persons. 90% of them don't give a flying rats rear end about you. They wouldn't even smile at me, never mind saying hello
i gotta tell you i laughed a lot about this. i grew up with an airplane strapped to my butt.. and then traveled a lot on business. oh the stories i could tell. i am that person that doenst want to talk to you. but that doesnt mean i'm not friendly. i've met my share of weirdos, freaks, creepers, and pervs on all those well earned sky miles... sorry!

but i was in my Good Neighbor's house a couple days ago in my jammies so it all evens out.

everyone is different, right?
;-)

I don't miss the old fancy lifestyle though. Seems a million years ago ... In a galaxy far, far away.
aint that right!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My neighbor (Allison, yep, know her name) says that looking at my laundry on the line is very relaxing to her. She enjoys it especially when I wash all my colorful skirts.

My gas stove isn't working for some reason (oh, the horror! Really!) and dh and I both thought of walking over and asking the other neighbor, Keith, to come look at it. DH suggested I make cookies for him if we can catch him tomorrow. He loves fresh goat's milk, too, so he'll get a half gallon to go with the cookies. His son goes back to Afghanistan tomorrow.

I think I'll ask Mike if I can use his truck to go get some hay for the goats. He knows I'll be inviting his children over to see the baby goats when they are born. Sometimes I pass a little critter over the fence for them for a few minutes.

I find that strangers respond to me the way I want them to. If I smile and say hello, they relax and get chatty. I do this with all the airport personnel. Will be doing this in a couple of weeks in Hartford and Miami. Last year in Greensboro and OKC. Most people respond in kind, so be cheerful and nice, and they will be in response. If not, well, walk away and try with the next person.

I don't like to talk to strangers ON the plane, other than a few brief niceties. That doesn't make me unfriendly, just exhausted. I signal this by opening my book as soon as I sit down.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Whats the deal with hiding undies? Mine is on the 1st line facing the street. It answers the age old question "What are you wearing under that? :weee

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan, I totally understand where you're coming from. I never realized how impersonal most American airlines were until I traveled Air New Zealand. What a difference.

I know there are wonderful areas around this (US) country where neighbors still look out for each other, but my neighborhood is NOT one of those places, sigh. My neighbors stare at me when I go for a walk, even though I wave and smile. They just stare back, not smiling or anything. Kind of creepy. Our homeowners' association forbids hanging out laundry. Unfortunately, here in VA if you put out laundry most summer days, your clothes end up smelling like a swamp. I guess it's the humidity? I don't know, but it's annoying.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Hey Neko-Chan, I think you are a very cool chick. :D However not all Americans are aloof. I've lived in three different states during my 40 years here on this earth. I have moved many times within the three states. I can name each and every neighbor I've ever had. ;) I got along with 99% of them (The 1%-er guy tried to push Amway on me way too many times and I finally asked him to stop coming over to my house...but that was a fluke.)

Neighbor relations are very important in my book...and it seems that my many different neighbors all agreed. I actually think they are more important than average friends.

Anyway, all the places we lived we always had a "solar clothes dryer" and so did many of our neighbors. We were considered middle class too. In TX you could dry your entire load in under 10 minutes it seemed. Dryers took forever compared to the TX sunshine. :p
In Tx the sun steam dries everything. If you look at people walking around they have steam coming off of them.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
California and air ports??? No wonder you think most Americans are total butts :gig

The midwest is full of some of the nicest people IN THE WORLD :D

I moved from Wisconsin to Colorado. Same general level of nice, but the drivers are worse in Colorado :D

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I watched a rereun of Wife Swap the other day, ( I refused to watch it for a LONG time because of the name!) and they swapped someone like us with someone like this guy. He actually was upset when the woman hung out laundry to dry. He thought it made it dirty again and needed to be rewashed and dried in a dryer! Seriously! I don't even own a working dryer and havent in over a year. It is too wet to hang our clothes outside, so I have lines in the master bathroom and bedroom.