JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ah Justy....that was a great story! I enjoyed reading about your weekend with your boys, you obviously love them dearly and I am so happy that you got some time with them.

I hope your grandson checks out ok at the Dr.s....mothers like that make me crazy too! For God sake, you had the child TAKE CARE of the him!
:hugs

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2 Feb 10

Groundhog day! Spring is definately getting closer! I can feel it in my achy bones. LOL
Wow, I think i have "empty nest syndrom" all over again! I need to hatch some chicks!! :)
It was so great haveing the boys and grandson here for a few days. Its NEVER long enough tho. One of thier friends from OK comes with them every time, his name is Justin. He is a "glowing white" little butterball of a guy, but so nice, and always wanting to help. He told me the main reason he volunteers to drive them out here, is for ther "killer breakfast" ;) Of course....its a normal weekend breakfast for us, bacon,eggs, biscuits, and gravy. :idunno
He is a good kid tho. Very much a city boy, and I laugh at his expresions on how we do things around here. Like yesterday...we got to talking about predators. He looks at me and says." what do you do when a wolf comes after your animals?" I BURST out laughing...and said we dont have Wolves! Then I explained our usual predators..and how I take care of them, ( the gun) His face went blank, and he said..." YOU shoot a gun?" HAHA!!Yes Justin...I shoot a gun. So, Hubby and I got the guns out, and took the boys out for a little practice. It was lots of fun, watching them TRY to shoot the 357. LOL They were all a little scared of it, and made ME go first! LOL I guess if Mom can do it, we HAVE to! LOL
Oh, a funny little story....while we were unloading the firewood...the guys were tossing the smaller stuff in the driveway and the grandson and I were putting it in the box in the garage. Now, my grandson is 3, and just really starting to be "chatty" He and I were squated down, getting the wood, when his daddy tossed a small stick and it hit Iziah in the knee. Oh boy! Iziah said.. : HEY, YOU HIT ME DAD. I laughed so hard, and he was giving his dad a look that could melt steel. I quick grabbed my camera..and was going to get a pic, when he looked at me and said.. " grandma, im mad, NO PICTURES" This had me ROLLING!!!!! What a cute kid! He is not used to being around dogs...and my poms are not used to small kids...so every time he would walk by one of the dogs, it would jump up, not wanting to be stepped on...he would squat down and look at them and say.... " Im sorry, dont be scared" :gig
So the house is quiet...only the sound of the woodstove cracking and popping...the computer humming...and the chickens wakeing up on the monitor. :/ Once again....its grandma's house. Back to the "grind" of things.
Tomorrow I am going to Indy to see my grand daughter, Kaylen. She is doing so well..and I MIGHT even get to hold her! :fl

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
What great happy times! I am sure you made them some great memories as well. :D

I get to see my son and D1 often, but my SIL only comes home about every six months from the Navy and I miss him something fierce. Then there is my D2 who is currently living on the wild side.... I haven't seen her in about 2 years, but I have talked to her once. :hit I totally relate to missing those kids.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
4 Feb 10

So, yesterday...I rushed through my day so I could go to INDY...to see my grandbaby Kaylen. She is doing so great! She is at 3 pounds. She is still haveing a few issues with her heart...but getting stronger every day. All that dark beautifull hair! :love Only mom and dad gets to hold her right now...untill she is in a crib...MAYBE next week! Ohhh, I cant waite!
After we left the hospital...we all went to CC's for dinner. Its a little pizza place...buffet..and really cheap! $6.00 each, with drink. We left there and went to the Dollar tree. Oh, a person could go crazy in there!! I restrained...bought the dogs a bag of treats, some ibuprofin and a bag of cinnamon hard candy. $3.21
We are under a winter storm watch for this evening..so today I have to get things settled in outside.
Oh, there is a place up the road...its an "antique" shop. To me its more like an inside yard sale. However its a BIG building, and they are not open in the winter months because she doesnt want to heat the place. They really dont get much business...I dont know how she keeps it going. Anyways...I called her the other day, to find out when she would be opening again....April or May. She asked if I was looking for anything particular...and I said...ohhh, I was looking for some cast iron kitchen pieces...you know, for camp cooking. Im supposed to meet her there today. She will open the store for me to look around. She said she has a few skillets, around 12 to 15 dollars. :D Im hopeing they are worth buying! She almost always has canning jars there, so I will be looking for a few and for some of the 2 or 3 gallon ones, for pickling as well. I will be the only customer! LOVE IT! I will report back later this evening.. ;) Tonight is Bingo at St. Marys. My grandson goes there...so I "Have to go play bingo, the money is for the kids" Right?? I mean....I know its spending money we dont need to, but...its for the kids!!! :p Thats my story and im sticking to it! :lol:
Have a great day everyone!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, how much fun would that be. The whole store to yourself. And early before she opens for the season. Sounds like a great time to me. Take a wagon and load it up!!!

Bingo, sounds fun. We played one night at a Good Sam campground we were camping at. It was very fun.

Good to hear about your grand-baby. She will be growing like weed in no time.

gina

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Great news about that grand baby! I am so happy that things just keep getting better and better for her. :)

justusnak said:
we all went to CC's for dinner. Its a little pizza place...buffet..and really cheap! $6.00 each, with drink. We left there and went to the Dollar tree.
Do you live right by me? ;) We have a Cici's pizza and a Dollar Tree in the same little strip mall just down the road from me a piece. I wonder if they are linked financially in some way? It is a lovely combination. The Cici's sponsors school nights in which a portion of sales is donated to the school. Our school goes there about once a month. I never have, however since I can not eat regular pizza. (gluten free).

The antique store sounds great. Most of the stores around me (and there are a bunch) are priced for the collector market $$$$. We used to have a store that was more like the one you describe, but they are gone now and replaced with another pricey store. The old antique store had a huge cold basement full of furniture finds, many of which needed work, but they were still good quality and cheap prices. I miss that place!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
5 Feb 10

Snow
Thats all I really want to say about that! :rolleyes:

Started with rain this morning...then sleet...then rain...then snow..and still snowing! We are only supposed to get 3 to 5 inches...but you would think we were getting a blizzard! These people around here are freaking out! My son lives in town, he said the shelves are just about bare. Are you kidding me!??? Its only a few inches people!! Jeesh! They need to live in Alaska for a year. THATS where I learned my storage skills. LOL The problem is...they were not prepared ahead of time...its friday, payday, so everyone is freaking out, thinking we will be "snowed in forever" :rolleyes: Im not even going into town...nope. We have plenty here, and if there is something we dont have, we can just do without. I refuse to get on the roads with these crazies!
Woke this morning with the "icky blahs" :sick Fever, body aches, upset tummy. Feels like there is a 50 pound sack of feed on my chest. Doing chores...well..that was a chore! Glad thats done! Now I can sit by the woodstove...drink my tea..and veg. I just worry about hubby, he is working, and doesnt get off untill midnight. Im sure the roads will be a mess by then, but, thankfully there shouldn't be many people out there. He DOES know how to drive in this stuff at least..and has a cell phone. He better NOT call me to come get him...LOL
Had a little silkie hatch yesterday evening. Looks like a splash. Maybe. I just hope a few more hatch. I really dont want to raise one little chick...they get so spoiled..because I feel bad, and carry the durned thing around. :D It looks so lonely in there...at least for now, its quiet. :cool: I will be fireing up the other bators soon. One for full size chickens...one for ducks...and one for bantams. Hopeing to get at least 100 hatched for spring sales.
OH, I went to bingo last night...won a little..but the BEST part is..there is a gal that sits with me every week...they are selling thier 100 acre farm..and she was telling me they have SEVERAL rolls of fencing with wood and metal T posts for sale. She is going to ask her husband how much he wants for it. I told her..." remember, im poor" LOL She said there was enough to fence MOST of thier property. Of course, I dont need THAT much...but if the price is right, I will get it all..and resell what I dont need. Anyone looking to move to Indiana?? 100 acres, 3 bedroom brick ranch home, 3 or 4 acre lake...$650 thousand! Oh, and they rent out tillable land....50 acres I think...she said would be enough to make the years worth of payments. I personally think its a little pricey...so I wished her luck. :)
OK, im going to go make my tea...get my tylenol...and my blankey. Sit by the fire and read. Have a good evening all!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I hope you have a nice relaxing and cozy evening. I hate being sick and having to go out in bad weather to take care of the critters. So I hope you wake up feeling fine tomorrow morning.
Isn't it great having the chicks hatch. I am just loving mine. They are still in the living room near the wood fireplace insert, it's the warmest spot in the house. They are feathering out nicely and spent about 2 hours outside today.

You sound like me, if there is only one chick, I end up carrying it around with me all the time too. They sure do get attached to you that way.

Great news about your little Kaylen!
Hope the little grandson gets better soon, now that he is with dad!

We had some sunshine today, I'll send some your way ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
6 Feb 10

Woke to snow. Its still snowing..and doesnt look like it wants to stop any time soon! At least we are not predicted to get FEET of snow...just inches. Whew!
Still feeling like poopy!Last night was rough, but I think my fever broke. Now I need to change the bedding! :sick Poor hubby...I would throw the covers off....then take them all...then throw them off again. At one point, I heard my little dog growl, and jump off the bed. :/ Guess he wasnt getting any sleep either, with me tossing and turning. Finally decided to get up, and just get the woodstove going again.
I still need to get outside, and take care of these animals. YUK...not looking forward to that at all! I still have 30 minutes untill I need to do that ...so drinking another cup of coffee...and then I will head out.
My tummy is rolling....I hope this passes quickly. Im just glad its the weekend, hubby can help pick up where I am slacking. I think I will get a loaf of bread going...that always makes me feel better...smelling fresh bread bakeing.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
hope you are feeling tons better soon, justy!

we have the woodstove roaring, and I'm feeling warm-ish. Everytime I look out my window I get a bad chill. *shudders*

I hafta go out and feed/water all our critters in a bit, too.

Downside of farming - winter.