JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
29 April 09

Well....Its been a long day. Got up to cool weather, cloudy...yuk. So, I decided I was going to clean house to help pass the time. Ya see, today is the day to get my sheep!! So, vaccume the house, dust everythbing...do chicken/duck/turkey chores...make spaghetti and meatballs for DH's dinner, and get him all packed up for work. My son text me saying that the company that is doing Burger King flower beds, neds a place to dump the old mulch, TODAY! OK, so nowI have to waite for them to get here. I was planning to leave at 2pm, to go get my sheep. So, 1:45 I get the call....they are out front! Woohoo!! Get them directed to where I want them to unload it...and stand by to watch. ( I make a great supervisor!) LOL
FINALLY they get finished...and I can go get my girls. WOOHOO!! Its a 45 minute drive...one way..to get them. Load the carrier...and the chicken cage, she also has some cochins she doesnt want, they are a few months old. I fixed up a large pottery mixing bowl with a quart of peaches, and 6 pints of jellies and jams as a gift for Jennifer.( the lady with the sheep) Make the drive.....we talked for a bit, looked at all her new work she has done. She has a BEAUTIFULL place..I mean, just beautifull. Her kids get home from school....highschool...and its time to gather the 2 girls. I would like to introduce you to April...
99_aprilgrazing.jpg

And Nelly....
99_nelly28april09.jpg

After I set them in the pasture...they were so fun to watch...graze...RUN to a new spot...graze...RUN to a new spot..then to the barn to check it out. I was able to get them to eat from my hand already. They are Sooo sweet!!:love I had to go get the new chickens settled, then went back to watch them some more...and they ran up to me! :love Yup, IM HOOKED!!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
AWWWW!!!! :clap They are just beautiful. I know nothing about sheep but those are the cutest I have ever seen. :love I know you probably said before but how old are they? Thanks you so much for sharing the pics.

:thumbsup

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Im not positive...but I think they are both just over a year old. I will breed them this fall....to Sunshine..he is still with his momma for now.
I will get thier registeration papers in a few days or so....yup, thier registered Shetlands! :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
4 May 09

Wow, time flies when you haveing fun..or busy...and I have been both.
The sheep are doing great. SPOILED...but great! Its hard not to spend lots of time with them, but alas..there are other things needing attention as well. But the other things...dont stand at the gate, and cry to me! :/
In this pic....it looks like Nelly is praying for more leaves to grow on the Mulberry tree...she stripped!
99_nellyonstump.jpg

She just finished all the leaves she could reach.

So, my potatos are up, and almost ready to layer straw over them already! They are looking great! I will try to get pics tomorrow..
The peas are coming up....funny, I have never grown peas...and I almost plucked them out, thinking they were clovers coming in! LOL
Tomorrow....im planting my beets, and radishes. I have a small area in the garden for the radishes, since I am the only one that eats them, I wont plant much. Its a small 4 x 5 area..and I think this year I will free sow them. Since its a small area. No need to try rows.
I am hopeing the larger garden dry out some...so I can get the rest planted. Im just itching to get started!!
My little cherry trees we planted last year, are only about 3 ft tall...but loaded with little cherries!
99_cherrytree3ftwcherries09.jpg

99_cherrytree09.jpg

If I can keep the chickens from getting them, I might have a few for myself! :D
Went to L'Vill,KY this weekend...back to my sisters place. She wanted to get a few trees taken out, and cleaned up, so asked if we would come show her how to use the new chainsaw she bought. City folk going country...LOVE IT!
She "payed" us with a White brand rideing mower. The guy she bought the house off of, left it there. She doesnt need it, she has a John deer, and a zero turn. So, we loaded it up, and brought it home. After cleaning out all the mouse nests, new gas, oil, battery, sparkplugs...a few bad words..and a cough of smoke....it LIVES!! HAHA! It has an hour counter, for the time it has been used...1100 hours. THATS IT! Oh, and it has CRUISE CONTROLL! MWAhahaha! LOVE IT! We sharpened the blades..and I took it out for a spin, wow, I love this mower! Thats about it...just been busy cleaning, hatching chicks, selling chicks..tomorrow, laundry, and planting....and of COURSE...some sheep petting time! :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just!! You have your sheep!!!! :) They are beautiful! And the graze looks great! I bet they were in 7th heaven with all that grass for just those two...I'd be goin' crazy too!

Congrats!!! You dirty dog, you got yours first! :p :clap

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nelly is looking good. She looks to be having a serious conversation with that tree.

I am glad to hear things are good. :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee, when I went to get the girls.. I was able to see my little ram I will be getting. He is not weaned yet...but WOW, he is pretty!! I might have gotten my sheep first...but YOU....getting a cow!!?? NO FAIR!! LOL
My neighbor just a week ago, came home from the auction barn...got 2 pretty little red cows. MAN OH MAN!! IM jealous! I would LOVE to have a little beef cow...but...one animal at a time or my hubby just might move ME out to the barn! LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I know what you mean! I am now only getting one sheep, instead of the total of 4 that I had wanted. And I'm not getting the pig. A cow and prospective calf is enough!

Come next spring I will have a lamb(s), a calf(and maybe a bottle bum to share the wealth), Blossom(I know....its not real original but its what she came with! :rolleyes:) and little Black Betty(Lambda lamb!)....the little ewe I am getting...all on an acre+ of rotational graze. We'll see how it does! :D