JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a weekend to get over your weekend! Glad you are healing up and will get to wear real shoes again :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So today started out not to bad weather wise. In the mid 60's...for a minute. :rolleyes: Its in the upper 80's now and humid! I had to get out there and get something up for the green beans to grow on....so I started out about 9 am. By the time I set 4 fence posts, 4 wooden posts, and strung up about a mile of bailing twine, I was drenched! It only took about an hour and a half...but whew! Finished that, put the tools away...then headed to the spring garden. I picked a few peas...what a sad attempt at growing peas! The beets are coming in..fairly well....looks like I might get a few dozen pints. :celebrate
I went over to check the Lima beans......out of 2 rows...there are exactly 2 plants left. That darned goose!!!!! Me and her are going to have issues if this keeps up. Guess I will have to get a small fence put up around that garden. UGH!
Got cleaned up, and had to run to town. The metal cabinets we are putting up for the summer kitchen has shelves....and not enough of the little doohickey shelf holder thingies. ( yes, that's my technical term) I went to 5 places locally.....every one of them told me....good luck finding those. UGH!
The last place I went, the guy told me he has a book, somewhere, he will find and bring to me when he comes out on the 18th to do the assessment from the storm damage. ( siding, sofetts, and deck) He said he is almost positive I will find them in that book. :weee I guess we could modify the cabinets somehow to make the shelves work, but I would rather keep them as close to original as possible.
Got home and had to get dinner going, hubby leave for work at 3 pm..had to have something cooked to pack in his lunch. Meatloaf, boiled taters. YUM!
Hubby ran the tiller through the last area of the garden, now I have to find something to plant there. LOL Its an area about 10 x 30..I already have....
Green beans, tomato's, peppers, peas, beets, Lima beans(sorta) onions Brussels sprouts, and onions. Any ideas what I can plant this late? Too late for corn?? We don't eat squash...so that's a no go. Is it too late to get more beets in the ground???? I guess I will figure it out...lol I don't want to see this great tilled soil go to waste.
I am in for a cool down.....then back out to water the animals...and the garden later.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A dear friend of mine has 3 Does. ( Not sure thier breed, brown?) :lol: Anyways....2 of her does gave birth to a pair of bucklings each. The 3rd doe, had one buckling, he was HUGH, and didn't make it. My friend is going to be leaving state for a few days, and asked if she could bring the kidless doe over, so I can keep her milk flowing. She will bring the grains and hay, I get the milk. :D Now...I have never really milked a goat...but have learned from all of you, I hope, how to do it. She will give me a one day crash course when she brings her over. I have a feeling this is going to be very interesting! She is bringing the doe over on the 27th of June. I think between now and then, I will go over and get a few extra hands on lessons, before she brings her here. This way the doe and I will get used to each other before we are thrown together. LOL
Wish me luck....really, I mean it...I need it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You will do fine! You'll love it! All of the fun without any expense.

I see goats in your future..... :p

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Goats in my future.....yup....I was hoping she wold have had a doeling. The plan was I was to buy one from her. Her gals are GREAT milkers....almost a gallon a day, per gal! If all goes well.....and I dont end up in the ER....maybe...just maybe, I will get serious about getting ONE!!! LOL

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
justy!

that so great! you are gonna be a natural. just remember our mantra, "i am the boss goat"

yay you!!!!

sending hugs!
:)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
justy!

that so great! you are gonna be a natural. just remember our mantra, "i am the boss goat"

yay you!!!!

sending hugs!
I am the boss, I am the boss, I am the boss...Hey, get over here, no, get off my back, I AM THE BOSS!! I have a feeling that is how it will go, for the first day. LOL I will try to get pics of the whole thing....well...maybe part of it. LOL

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
really you 'll do great. remember to "squeeze.....and play the piano" = squeeze the top to make a 'water balloon'....and then use your fingers to whoosh the milk out.

once you do it, it will totally make sense. you'll do great!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
really you 'll do great. remember to "squeeze.....and play the piano" = squeeze the top to make a 'water balloon'....and then use your fingers to whoosh the milk out.

once you do it, it will totally make sense. you'll do great!

Now I have to play the piano to her!?? LOL Just kidding. I have milked my Ewe a few times.....and she was a booger to milk, only because she didn't want to stand still. This doe is a few years old, and I am "told" a pleasure to milk" :D I am really excited....I get a trial run to decide if I really want goats...and it wont cost me a dime...AND I get the milk! LOL I am pretty sure I will end up with that horrible disease..... goatitis. Menaing I will HAVE to get a goat. :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
As one of the infected, goatitis isn't so bad. You will like it.

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha aaaaaa

I would have loved to have had practice milking goats prior to owning one and having to learn on a first freshener like I did and to have a "crash course" with someone. If I could figure it out with just the internet and a first freshener, you will do so much better with that situation.

Do you get to keep the milk?