JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ANY hog chops sell for $8-9/lb here in our area....so I wonder on that one if it isn't just 'fresh meat' market prices.

but I can't wait til ya eat one. truly, cause if the quality is as good as a regular old meat hog, (which I would think it would be) I would be interested in going WAY smaller on my hogs LOL

edited to say we dont' 'do' our own hogs. friends custom shop did them all. and charge was $45 kill fee along with standard process fee.
so 'kinda' bigger was cheaper ya know.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rathbone said:
Those sound uber cool! (p.s....glad you are feeling better)
Thanks RathBone....I am feeling 95% better, I would say Normal...but, whats normal?? :p

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
ANY hog chops sell for $8-9/lb here in our area....so I wonder on that one if it isn't just 'fresh meat' market prices.

but I can't wait til ya eat one. truly, cause if the quality is as good as a regular old meat hog, (which I would think it would be) I would be interested in going WAY smaller on my hogs LOL

edited to say we dont' 'do' our own hogs. friends custom shop did them all. and charge was $45 kill fee along with standard process fee.
so 'kinda' bigger was cheaper ya know.
"regular" pork chops go for that high??? WOW!!!! At the meat market here, "fresh" pork chops are at a high, only $4 / lb From what I have read, the meat from these hogs is spectacular. For me, as long as it tastes like pork, and the hams taste like hams...and the BACON is like bacon...i will be happy with the smaller size.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
There's a guy around here that raises guinea hogs and sells the piglets for $100 each. I want a pair some kinda bad!!!

I just think that when the animals are smaller my kids would have a harder time slaughtering them....It would be different if we had a mean 400lb hog to kill but when they are smaller and cuter then the kids want to keep them for ever and ever.....:rolleyes:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
There's a guy around here that raises guinea hogs and sells the piglets for $100 each. I want a pair some kinda bad!!!

I just think that when the animals are smaller my kids would have a harder time slaughtering them....It would be different if we had a mean 400lb hog to kill but when they are smaller and cuter then the kids want to keep them for ever and ever.....:rolleyes:
That is my plan, $100 each. I will make up a brochure to let prospective buyers know what meat they are getting. :) They will also be added to my web page in full detail. 200 pounds isn't too small...and I KNOW I wont have a hard time putting them in the freezer. My issue will be finding a butcher I can trust, to do the deed and give me back MY meat! Or, find someone to help me do it here. Hubby will NOT! LOL Such a city boy at heart.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
You can ask around and find a trustworthy one or badger hubby into it :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, last week I was driving down the road and came upon a little country store that had a large display of pumpkins and gourds. I stopped and went inside to find out what their plans were after Thanksgiving. She told me..." It is funny that you should stop in here...my husband and I were just talking last night, about what we will do with all the left over's" She said she would call me the day after Thanksgiving, and I could have whatever didn't sell. I was so excited thinking I would get a few pumpkins for free, for the animals. Well, true to her word, she called me this morning, telling me there were "some left over, and could I come get them today?" I jumped in my truck and drove over there, just happy to get a few of her leftovers!
Yeah....well....that was until I got there....They had more than a "few" left over, and I was told I had to take them all or none. My little S10 was loaded...REALLY loaded, squatting!!
99_dsc01994.jpg

It took me a few hours to get them all unloaded into the barn, and throw the mushy ones to the pigs...but...as I stood there, rubbing my back a smile crept across my face.
99_dsc01999.jpg

I have enough to get ALL the animals here through winter...at least supplemented. They will still need hay of course, and some grains...but I am thinking I might cut the feed bill in half!
The pigs were so happy...slurping up those mushy pumpkins and gourds like soup.
99_dsc01998.jpg

I took a few to the chickens as well. They were attacking them like they had not eaten in days! I am sure by tomorrow afternoon, there will be nothing left in the yards and pastures.
Yep, I have been blessed....and I am VERY thankful!!!!