JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good to hear your on the mend. I have never had strep myself but dh had it so bad once they gave him an oral numz it for his throat. :sick

Tank care of yourself!!

g

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rest all you can but glad to hear you are feeling better!
yea bad timing iwth the holidays LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Glad you are feeling better!
Hope to catch up with you soon!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I am so excited, I am almost ready to BURST!!! I am within an inch, almost literally....of getting my pair of American Guinea Hogs!!!!!! I found a place to get them "cheap" and now have the funds. I am calling the guy tomorrow to make sure he still has them, and if so, I SHOULD have my babies here by the weekend. WOOOHOOO!!!!!! Yup, we will be breeding them...and eating, and selling...and breeding...and...Oh my, I cant wait!! I have been wanting them for sooooo long, I am truly blessed!!!!!!!
Here is a little more on them:
The Guinea Hog, also called the Pineywoods Guinea, Guinea Forest hog, Acorn Eater, and Yard pig, is a breed of domestic pig originating in the United States. Despite its name, the breed is not from Guinea, though the foundation stock is thought to be derived from West Africa. The Guinea Hog is a rare breed with a black coat, sturdy body, curly tail and upright ears. These pigs were popular with subsistence farmers, not only through their ability to forage for themselves, but also because their habit of eating snakes made the farmyard safe for children and livestock.[2]

The breed fell out of favour after around 1880 and for a while was in danger of being entirely lost. The Red Guinea no longer exists and its exact relationship with the American Guinea and what proportions of other breeds are in its background are not known for certain. However, that there is a relationship is shown by the occasional birth of a reddish pig to the normally bluish-black American Guinea parents. It is suspected that there were a number of distinct American Guineas in the past.[2] In 2005 the American Guinea Hog Association was formed which now ensures its continued existence.[6][1] The Guinea Hog is also include in Slow Food USA's Ark of Taste,[7] a catalog of heritage foods in danger of extinction.
Weight Male: Under 200 pounds (91 kg)
Weight Female: Under 200 pounds (91 kg)
99_250px-guinea_hog_norfolk.jpg

They are smaller, easier to work with, and can forage better than the modern pig. So, less feed. ;) And, being it is only hubby and I here..the small size is perfect!
As soon as we get them I will post pics.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
How cool, J! I've never heard of them! How is their temperament? Hardiness? Meat quality? How much does one normally cost? I'm so excited for you!!! :weee

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
How cool, J! I've never heard of them! How is their temperament? Hardiness? Meat quality? How much does one normally cost? I'm so excited for you!!! :weee
Their temperament is calm, easy going....Meat quality? It sells for HIGH DOLLAR in 5 star restaurants, the guy I am getting them from sells his pork chops at the farmers market, $8/pound, and said they sell as fast as he can unload them!! I have seen the in the $500 to $1000 range EACH for breeding stock! I am thinking these are NOT registered...but I dont care...I still want them! LOL

ETA: Hardiness, they are a heritage breed, and can forage MOST of their feed in the wooded areas all summer long. Winter, a little grain, and hay, pumpkins, gourds, that sorta things.( garden leftovers)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
whoot!! so excited for you!!!!! Hope you get to bring them home!!