JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I was laughing at that, at my desk at work . . heeheeeee

I am sure the chicken labour unions understand the chickens are well paid! Better wages than their industrial counterparts, anyway. Too funny.

I am sure your neice enjoyed driving that tractor! My grandma tought me to drive her tractor when I was 8 and I sure thought I was the queen when I could take all my cousins for a ride . .

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
17 June 09

Ahhhh, this day is almost over! SWEET! Got up..enjoyed 30 minutes of quietness, and coffee. I knew it wouldn't last long. The "Pomeranian pack" ( I have 3) started waking up, one by one...wanting out. Got everyone settled back inside...and grabbed my last cup of coffee, and headed out to feed and water animals...and open coops.
Oh, I have to say....we got one HECK of a rain storm yesterday. It was like the heavens opened up, and just dumped all there was...in a matter of 20 minutes. So, I of course was expecting to see a flood in the front yard....but NOPE! The drainage pipe we put in worked! :weee I was Soooooooo happy!
So...get all the animals settled in...and start for the gardens. 8 am, and already hot and muggy. At least there was a breeze..with all the sweating..the breeze felt good, almost cold! :p
Came inside for about the 4th time...I swear, I think my bladder is the size of a pea....and Hubby was getting up. ( 10 am) :rolleyes:
We sat on the front porch for a few minutes...gave him time to wake up, and me time to cool down. Went and grabbed the Lawn tractor...and wagon. I just have to get the straw out of the garden. I put it in there for weed controll...but the chickens think its an invitation. Took all the straw to the duck pen...to soak up some of the muck! 3 loads later....Hubby walks by, headed for the shop area...going to spread the gravel. So, off I go to help. We have 5 tons of gravel...needing spread...by hand no less. Did I mention it was hot and muggy?? :/ 2 hrs into it, we both looked like we had been swimming. The gravel is done...for the most part.
Came inside to make dinner .. something easy...Spaghetti...and I sliced a cantelope. Hubby got cleaned up for work..as I packed his dinner. Lucky him...he gets to go to work, in an airconditioned office. Me? I get to shovel more compost from the chicken runs. I was able to get another full wagon load...and get it on the beets. Still need at least one more load. That will have to waite a few days...since we got all the rain. Oh, and ever heard the phrase..." Stirring stink to get a smell"?? yeah...well....wet, hot, humid chicken poo compost... :th Need I say more?
Finished that...and got the mower going to try to get some of this darned grass mowed. All the rain, humidity, then sunshine...the grass is growing so fast you can almost watch it grow! :tongue I need more fencing...and more grazers!!;)
Finished the mowing just before dark....got my shower...coffee...and reheated spaghetti. My hands are cracked, blistered, and sore..I am going to go plug in my parafin soaker..and soak these sore hands. :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohhh, FF, these things are wonderfull...My son got it for me for mothers day a few years ago. Works on feet too!
Its a Parafin Spa( aaaaah) LOL I am pretty sure he got it at Wal Mart. I get my parafin there..and you can get scented parafin as well. I say....splurge on yourself...you wont regret it! ;)

99_parifinspa.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I wonder if it would work with Bee's wax or other oil (olive oil?, cocoa butter?)

My hands are always such a mess. We working girls are sure good at tearing them up aren't we! Plus I bet it would be helpful to my arthritis for the warmth.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, I am sure you can use your own bees wax, and essential oils. Im just lazy, and buy mine. 8Oh, and on the arthritus///it works WONDERFULL!!!! My hands swell something terrible, and hurt sometimes I am in tears. After a good soaking...im typing away like I was in my 20's! It comes with these gloves....soak in wax....put plastic over it, then the gloves. Let it set for a good 10 to 20 minutes. The terricloth gloves keep the warmth in..and helps it soak straight to the old bones. I love it!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Wow. So glad you told me about this. I will definitely be looking for one in the near future!

To think I could soak my hands in heat - and NOT be washing dishes!:p

Plus THIS little gadget could even MOISTURIZE my poor hands (the dish washing just makes them worse).

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Definately keep an eye out at the local thrift stores. I see them here all the time! You are right...to have a warm soak for your hands..and NOT be doing dishes...wonderfull! Just make sure you potty before you do this. I have made that mistake more than once! LOL

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
19 June 09

HOT HOT HOT!!!!!!
Got up late......almost 7:30! sat with one cup of coffee...then took my second one outside with me. Stepping out the front door at 8 am...I broke into a sweat. Then, I get a weather advisory on my cell phone. Its a heat advisory. Just great, and me with stuff to do! First I changed all the waters for the animals. Let see...10 pens of poultry....and the sheep. Took just about an hour. There was a great breeze, even tho the humidity was around 70 to 80 %. 9 am and the sheep are already panting....so I decided it was time to tackle the west door of the barn. We have never opened it, because its on the road side....and just about 10 ft from the road...and all the storms come from that way. Well, today, I pryed it open..and the bottom hinge promptly rotted through. Just great! I am already drenched! get the door monkey rigged....wired open, and had to start putting up some type of barrier that will let the air in, and keep the sheep in. So, I nailed 2 boards across the doorway...and nailed a pallet to them. Worked great if I do say so myself! :D I am drenched in sweat...dirty..and my cell phone rings. Its my friend with the goats milk..she is on her way to bring me a gallon, and get 4 dozen eggs. She just lives about 2 minutes up the road..so by the time I finished getting the last nail in..she and her hubby...were pulling in the drive. :/ Oh, and of course...this is the FIRST TIME..I started working in my pajama shirt..no bra. UGH! Her hubby never comes with her! :rolleyes: Figures this time..he would. So I run to the house...and do a quick change....then take her the eggs and gather my milk. I am planning to make cheese with it this weekend. :D
So, they leave, I grab a mason jar of ice water..and head to the duck pen...I get another warning on my cell phone. I think someone is out there atching me..and keeps sending me these "heat index warnings" OK, so I am outside, I KNOW ITS HOT! LOL Had to refence the duck pen...then fenced in a small area near them....I think its about 8 x 10...and planted more corn. I am going to have corn coming up all over the property in small patches. LOL
I came back inside...and had to change..again. Shirt number 3! UGH! I was soaked again! Got hubby off to work, then ran into town to make the truck payment, and pay the water bill. Stopped at a yard sale...I saw a few tomato cages I had my eye on. He sold the 2 of them to me for 50 cents! SCORE! Now I only need 16 more.! :rolleyes: Hubby keeps saying he will make me some...but I cant waite any longer..I need to cage those suckers, and now!
Oh, I talked to the gal that I got the sheep from. She sold ALL of her Shetland sheep, and Angora goats, and is going to raise ONLY Baby Doll Sheep. She does have one little shetland left...her name is Mary. She is SOooooo pretty. She was abandoned by her mother at birth, so has been bottle raised. Super friendly, and tiny!So...it turns out...next week...I am getting another lamb. :D So, the rest of the day, I spent in the barn...setting up a "stable" area for her. Nelly will NOT like haveing another lamb in there..so I had to make sure it was strong enough to keep Nelly out...at least for a month! Mary will have to get some weight, and height on her so she can handle herself in the group. Well..thats about it..im worn out from the heat. I think I will finish my water...and go to bed. Another long weekend coming up. Sunday we have to go to Ohio, and spend the day with the inlaws. :rolleyes: Oh fun!! ( NOT)

Latest posts