JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
When your BIL comes over to make your truck rack from the fence post, be sure he does it in open air, and watchout for the "zinc angles" floating in the air. Welding anything that has zinc in it is poisonous while welding it, also its best that anyone around have a big 16oz+ glass of milk afterwards, the vitamin D will balance out any over intake of zinc in your body.

Also, its best that the areas where your going to weld be sanded to remove the coating, and this will also make much better welds. I would suggest also priming the areas where welded as soon as they cool. Last but not least, you can get spray cans of cold galv at any DIY box store for about $8, spray that over the primer that you put on the welded areas.

One last thing, lol, you might want to weld some brackets in different locations for future tie down use. Welding a few up towards the cab of the truck will be useful for not only holding tools and stuff, but also holding livestock, keeping them faced one direction while in transport.

Me and my fabricator mind :rolleyes:

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh I almost went to the livestock auction today. It would have been my first livestock auction experience too. I really wanted to go but at the last minute didn't because who knows what I would have brought home. :rolleyes:

I am glad about your piggies, congrats!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
modern_pioneer ..... Thanks for the helpfull hints. I read them to my BIL...he knew about everything BUT the milk! I will make SURE we have plenty milk on hand. ;)
I am really excited to FINALLY get my truck racks. Now MAYBE I can get me a calf..at the auction. ;)

Homestead...ohhh, you SHOULD have gone!! This was my first one as well..and I had a great time! I cant waite to go again! LOL

Today was hot...and humid. Temp on the front porch read 105 at one point!:th BIL was able to finish the coop roof! Now I want it to rain, so we know if it works. :D Im sure it will....but...you know. LOL
Tomorrow he is going to get the gutters on the coop...and the downspouts. THEN I can sit my rain barrell out there..with a cover...and goldfish in it. I can't waite.
Oh, my BIL built me a new door for the barn as well. :weee The other one was broken on the bottom hinge, and I had to lift it to get it opened or closed. When we got home from the auction, BIL offered to close the door...it is a bit of a pain...and when he got back in the truck, he looked at me and said " tomorrow, you get a new door" :clap Hubby went to work, and BIL and I worked on the door for 4 hours. FINALLY got it done, and on..it works great! Tomorrow a little bit of "tweaking" on the latch...but its good to go for now!
Oh, and the neighbor girl came over today... :D She offered to weed the garden tomorrow. :love I am SO lucky to have them for neighbors. There are only 5 rows left to do...but...they are 40 ft long. She said she would do it for $5.00....I am giving her $10...maybe $15. She needs to get minutes for her cell phone. :cool: Heck, if she does a well enough job, I MIGHT give her $20. I am just so glad to have the help. They are great kids.
:plbb Punkin....they are MINE!! :lol:
I forgot to add....we took the little male pig to get " cut" today. BIL had never seen it done..and I thought I was gonna lose him!:lol: He got a little pale...and was standing there with his legs crossed!
Here are the new pigs...settled in..and loving it! The green is marker paint they put on them at the auction.
99_2pigs09.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
What wonderful little pink piggies. :love

That is the one animal MY hubby has pronounced as a NEVER. All I can do is live vicariously through others. :gig

You are so lucky to have good family like you do. My BIL is agoraphobic - he lives next door and will barely leave his house. He tends to do "special" things like drop his full trash bags off of his porch in the driveway and just leave them there (two weeks) until I get so sick of seeing them that I finally put them in his trashcan and set them out for the trash man. :barnie Today I have to take him to the dentist. I can't even imagine a family member offering to help out with work or seeing something that is broken and fixing it for us. My sister helps sometimes with things, but I have to ask first and her "hubby" has done lots of work for us - but always for pay. Our dad lives with my sister and he is like my BIL in lots of ways, not agoraphobic, but won't even feed the dog unless you pester him about it. Since she deals with him and has a farm of her own I give her at least an excuse.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmFresh....One of the piggies is for my sister...the other is ours. See....last fall...we butchered 50 cornishcross...and 2 pigs. I was thinking I would be able to get a freezer by the time butcher came around. Well...one bill led to another, and when butcher came, we didnt have the money for a second freezer. I had NO IDEA where I was going to put the meat. :rolleyes: Well...one day, my little sister, who lives in Louisville,KY called me and said she found us a freezer. I had told all the family members to watch thier local papers, and craigslist for a cheap used one. So she said...I had to meet her in the town over from me, about 40 minutes away, and to bring my truck. I asked her where exactly, and she said, when I got to the town, to call her on her cell...she would tell me how to get there. I kept asking her how much, she said....dont worry, this one you can afford. :/ I called her when I got there, and she told me to meet her in the Lowes parking lot. When I got there, her partner was standing there waiting..she said....lets go inside, and get your new freezer!! :th I told her there was NO WAY I could get a new one, and hse said...." Didnt you know? Its buy your sister a freezer day?" See, my little sister makes MONDO MONEY! Over 7 grand a month. She bought a beautifull showcase home on a mountain in KY, with 7 acres...but said the only animals that will be on her property will be her ****zu dog, and 3 cats. :/ So, I am raiseing a pig for her. Fair trade I think. ;)
We DO have family members that will use us....as a food store. My brother will come and give his " down and out speach" and tell me how " I am so lucky to be able to raise my own food, and that NO ONE can cann veggies like I do" blah blah blah.....I usually send him home with a box of food..a few frozen chickens, veggies, and fruits. I know, I am a sucker. But he is my big brother...and I love him...altho I dont LIKE him most times. LOL He tries to convince me how " great it would be if he and his wife and child, could park a trailor in my woods, and live here and help with the farm" Ummmm, yeah, thats NOT gonna happen!! He is 50 yrs old, with a 2 yr old..and a drug problem. Nope, dont want that here. His new "wife" is younger than my oldest son, who is 29 yrs old. :/ Its a mess...for sure, one I dont want here.
Most of my family will help EAT the harvest, but wont come help with it. They all like to " come visit for the day" knowing I will feed them. One day I am going to pull out a store bought package of bologna, sliced cheese, and store bought bread. There is dinner! LOL That might stop the freeloaders! :lol:
My BIL is a great help....altho quite the drinker, he likes his beer. BUT, he gets the job done. Tit for tat I guess.:idunno

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
What a wonderful sissy! I would keep her supplied with meat for a while. :D

Yes EVERYBODY shows up for dinner! People are always talking about my "gardening hobby" - they comment on how good the food tastes - but I almost never have any help either canning, gardening or cooking!

I swear sometimes I feel like the "Little Red Hen"! :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
What a wonderful sissy! I would keep her supplied with meat for a while. :D

Yes EVERYBODY shows up for dinner! People are always talking about my "gardening hobby" - they comment on how good the food tastes - but I almost never have any help either canning, gardening or cooking!

I swear sometimes I feel like the "Little Red Hen"! :lol:
Yes, my sister is very giving! She doesnt flaunt her money either...she is very shy about it. THAT makes it even better! ;)
The only help I seem to get around here is eating it as well....other than the neighbor girls that helped me today, weeding. I gave the oldest girl $10 and the younger one $5. I was out there helping them as well...then they went and got cleaned up, I got cleaned up, and I drove them to town and dropped them off at the city pool/park. Thier mom gave approval. The oldest one did more work, was there first, and was there last! LOL The younger one sorta weeded one row, then left. :/ SHe deserved something, but just not as much. They were just happy to have a ride to the pool. :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was just catching up on your journal and am happy you got pigs! So cute! And you can send that BIL my way!!! I could sure use someone on the place that doesn't have to be forced into a chore.... :rolleyes:

Love reading about everyone's journey, its so educational and interesting. And your sis sounds like an angel! :love

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, today, my BIL was outside for a while, and came in asking where I had put the big fence staples. I told him they were in the barn, and that I would go get them....he said NO!! You CANT go in the barn...I have a surprise. :/ Normally I dont like anyone messing around in my barn....but I let it go. So, last week, when I needed a breeze in the barn, I had pried open a door that had been nailed shut years ago....this is the door he replaced for me. I had nailed 3 boards across the doorway, and nailed a pallett to the boards to keep the sheep in, but let air in. So, my BIL comes in, and says...come see what I have for ya. We head to the barn, and he had taken the pallet...and put hinges on it, and latches! NOW I have a front door, I can open and load hay and feed through...from the roadside! I am TRULEY BLESSED!!!!!