JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have cried untill my eyes are swollen...and my stomach hurts. I have to be stronger...this is what farming is all about...win some lose some...but jeesh! I need to concentrate on the other one now...Autumn. She is close as well. BUT, she LOOKS like she should. Pearl didnt look pregnant. I actually didint think she was! She was just...well...fat I thought. Autumn has the wide sides, large milk bags, sunken in around her tail area, and sunken in sides. Oh, and I think she lost her mucus plug...at least..something white and gooey was dripping out of there. So I put her in a stall with warm molasses water, grain, and plenty fresh hay....and clean dry bedding. Now...we waite. :/ AND PRAY!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
:hugs So sorry.

Just because you're a farmer doesn't mean it's easy loosing an animal. We put so much care into them. You can't help but feel bad, when they die.
Praying for Autumn. :love

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm so very deeply sorry, J. :( :hugs

At a time like this, it is so difficult to know what to feel or say....one part of me is so sad that you lost that beautiful ewe and those huge, beautiful lambs. The other part is so scared that, when my time comes, will I be up to the snuff for lambing?

One part reminds me that we only learn when we try and fail....and try again.

I wish I could have been there for you.....sorry, J. :hit

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. A dear friend of mine told me....her vets dad used to say... " If you raise sheep, you need lots of land." When she asked why, he said " to burry them" :( Poor pearl and Autumn were in bad shape when I rescued them. They were preggers, skinny, and thier hooves were terrible. I truely tried everything I could, to make it better for them. Mineral block for sheep, salt block, fresh water, hay all the time..and All Stock for show animals. Yes, a little pricey, but good feed. There is no copper in it..so I knew it was good for them. Pearl had 2 ear tags, from 2 different farms. Maybe thats why they got rid of her, she was a hard ewe to lamb? I dont know. Its so sad, and now I am very nervous for Autumn. I just hope she fares better.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
:hugs

At least you know that Pearl lived out her last days enjoying the good life that you gave her, I hope that can be some consolation.

I will say a prayer for Autumn, for a safe delivery of a healthy babe.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Dace...yes, she had a good life, for the few months we had her here. Back rubs...chin scratches..and plenty good food. RIP Pearl.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs I don't know what to say after losing our lamb to coyotes and now reading about your experience with birthing I am getting really nervous about lambing in a few months, I hope all goes well this time for you and she gives you triplets.