JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I once read that when babies are that little, their bodies can't handle the over-stimulation of being held a great deal.

Those are some wonderful pictures, J!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:
I once read that when babies are that little, their bodies can't handle the over-stimulation of being held a great deal.

Those are some wonderful pictures, J!
You are right, however, they now do what they call "Kangaroo parenting" They highly reccomend it for preemies. The mother, or father, is to hold the baby next to thier skin, tucked under thier shirt. The warmth of the parents skin, and hearing and feeling the heartbeat does wonders for them. This has proven to make preemies thrive. The baby settles right down, and sleeps. No fussing, no moveing. This is good because any fussing or thrashing around, makes them lose weight.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
15 Jan 10

Wow. After that last week of freezing our tails off...this week is in the 40's and 50's! Crazy weather. Im not sure what mother nature has in store for us, but even the Turkeys are confused. One of my hens is laying... just great, winter babies. I fired up the incubator today, so we will hopefully have turkey poults in a few weeks.
This weather made me want to get outside...so I went and picked up feed this morning...and headed to the coops. I have been doing the deep litter method all winter. This has kept the inside temp of the coop at least 10 degrees higher than the outside temp. So, today I went in and stirred the litter....and added fresh pine shaveings to the top layer. I should have some great compost for this summer. :)
Everyone got fresh bedding, and filled feeders/waterers. My little Khaki Kambell hen is wanting to set a nest..but Im not letting her yet. I just know this winter is no way near over...and I dont want baby ducks inside! :sick
I was going to muck out the barn, but as I got over there, the neighbor boy got home. He is always asking if I have any chores for him to do so I called him over, and offered him 10.00 to clean out the barn. He was thrilled to do it! :ya I didnt have to! :plbb
All the old bedding is in the pasture....waiting to be spread on the garden. There is about 3 full size truckloads over there...and I am excited to get it on the garden.
I was able to get a few ore of the outside decorations down today. I guess if I would have worked harder, I could have gotten them all, but I was really enjoying the nice weather, and took my time. This weekend we will finish getting the last of the Christmas put back in the top of the barn...and covered with a tarp. ( darned birds) Getting it all tucked away really makes me think about spring. I can't waite to get into the gardens again.
I was talking with a dear friend today...and she was helping me come up with ideas on the baby shower. I am going to make a diaper cake for the table centerpiece. Im getting excited to throw this party...but we are going to waite untill baby Kaylen is home.
Just want to make sure all is well.
I was able to spend some time with the sheepies. I sure have missed spending time with them over the last few weeks. They have missed it as well. Nelly made sure I was there with the feed this morning. Little Mary is so funny...she will paw at your leg, if you ignore her, and she wants attention. If you keep ignoreing her, she will lightly head butt your leg. I try not to let it get to that point. No need in starting bad habits. ;)
Once she is full grown...that would leave a mark! LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
J, sounds like your world is turning right side up again and I am sooooo very glad! :) Don't you just love days like that? I swear I could smell spring coming today........ :fl

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes Bee, and I couldn't be happier! I KNOW I could smell spring...of course...with everything melting..and thawing...I DEFINATELY could smell something!:sick :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Honey, getting a teenager to shovel sugar out of your barn for $10 is in the nature of a real, honest to goodness miracle....you know that don't ya? :lol: :lol:

So very happy for you.....you just don't know how much you ladies on this forum are in my thoughts throughout my day. I worry about the trials in your life and send up prayers as I drive along. Is that pitiful? To pray and think about folks you've never even met? :p

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aww, Bee. Thats not pitifull....thats...well..its just awfully darned nice! I have sent prayers for many of you's on here. What a great "family" we have here hu?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Honey, getting a teenager to shovel sugar out of your barn for $10 is in the nature of a real, honest to goodness miracle....you know that don't ya? :lol: :lol:

So very happy for you.....you just don't know how much you ladies on this forum are in my thoughts throughout my day. I worry about the trials in your life and send up prayers as I drive along. Is that pitiful? To pray and think about folks you've never even met? :p
You think THATS a miracle!? I have a very large chicken coop...like 12 x 30. There are 4 pens in there that are about 6 x 8...with fence walls dividing them. I have had those kids shovel out the shaveings, spread it evenly in the chickens yards...sweep the fence "walls" and the ceilings and floors, clean out nest boxes, lay fresh pine shaveings, and clean and fill feeders and waterers...in 90 degree weather....are you ready?? For $5.00!!! I felt bad, and gave them another 5 tho. they were so happy! I did feel a little guilty....untill they came back a few weeks later, and asked if the coops needed cleaned again! :p Guess they thought it was good pay...and thats what matters! LOL ;)