JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Lori, yes, the animals are enjoying them. I just love to watch those piggies slurp up the rotten ones. They leave nothing behind! :)
So today, we went to Ohio for Thanksgiving #3. Our first one was in KY, then here in Indiana, then today, Ohio. I am SO OVER TURKEY! :sick Rainy and cold here today....animals are not in a good mood. Poor Suzie...my Alpine, is really hating this rain. She hates to get her feet wet. Such a princess!! Tomorrow I have phone calls to make all day, yuk...I dread it. Still need to get those Christmas cards in the mail....we haven't put up the decorations yet...I feel like I am falling behind fast! Can we just back up to November 1st?? LOL If the rain keeps up, I will tackle some of this laundry. I changed out the blankets, so it looks like a LOT of laundry...but really, only about 4 loads. Not too bad. My back hurts from the drive, and the cold rain...so I am going to go cuddle by the fire.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Up and ready to get this day started. It has been raining so long, I can't even count the days. I need to get some kindling in the garage, to dry out....we are supposed to get pretty chilly in the next few days, and we rely heavily on our wood stove for heat. I think today I will go out and winterize the chicken coops. Put plastic over the windows, and close most of the roof vents. I need to get all of the water bowl heaters up and ready....and clean the nest boxes, get them fresh again, YUK! The chicken yards are a mess, and now the coops are a mess. I detest all this rain. I would almost rather it just freeze hard! I have a bushel of small sweet potato's I need to get canned, and a few pie pumpkins as well. Of course, there is always laundry...and I need to make some more laundry soap, and I am going to make some fabric softener as well.
Time to get this day rolling. Have a great day everyone.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is a big list for the day.

rain, yea when you have to do any barn work it sure stinks. Nothing worse than Carolina red clay wet mud. Sucks off your boots!!

sounds like the winter is going to catch up to you soon. Same here. I see those BBBrrr days coming and all of the sudden you have to do the winter prep cause you are forced. I put most off til the last minute. I truly don't know how the days seem to fly by??

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
It's raining here today, too. We just had a propane tank brought in on Saturday with a fill up as a back up heating source to our woodburner. We're keeping the thermostat at 60 and it's not been cold enough for it to kick on at night yet. Still burning wood during the day as our main heat source, but even with the rain today it's not cold enough to warrant a fire.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It started raining yesterday here - rained off and on all night and still raining today. Anyone got a good ark for sale? I opened up the chicken run and let them out into their tractor. They're sloshing around in the mud hunting worms. Crazy birds!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
It's raining here today, too. We just had a propane tank brought in on Saturday with a fill up as a back up heating source to our woodburner. We're keeping the thermostat at 60 and it's not been cold enough for it to kick on at night yet. Still burning wood during the day as our main heat source, but even with the rain today it's not cold enough to warrant a fire.
We have propane for our furnace as well. Trouble is, we only have 55% and can not afford to get any this year. So, wood it is! It is in the 40's here this morning...chilly, so put a small fire in there just to take the morning chill off. I will be busy enough to keep warm I think. ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, the morning animal chores are finished....I gave the chickens all some pumpkins...nom nom!!

99_dsc02005.jpg

99_dsc02008.jpg

Time to start on the laundry. UGH!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rathbone said:
I cannot wait to see the gorgeous squash you grow from those seeds!
I will get some pics of the gourds.....there are some very interesting ones in there. :)