Kala's Journal~Newest Project :)

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Colowyo0809: FARMOPOLY!!!! I love that game! My mom got it for me last year when a local TSC opened.They do have a magazine called witches & pagans, but I'm pretty sure it has a pretty feminine flair! :lol: But its BBI media if you want to take a look!
We're also anxiously waiting for a couple local breeders to call and let us know when they're delawares and barred rock chicks hatch. :fl I fell in love with the older dual purpose breeds (even tho dels aren't that old!) We tried to check out ALBC for the endangered,etc breeds before deciding what breeds we wanted to get this year.

And thanks for all the warm wishes and welcomes everyone!

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Going to look at a dairy goat tommorrow (in milk)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:weee :weee :weee :weee :weee :weee

I keep telling myself to chill out!! Need to look it over first, but ahhhhhh!!!! I'm so excited!!!! I can't wait to get all of my critters out here!!

With that thought, we REALLY need to finish the barn tommorrow!!! :th Goat pens are done though so we should be ok there.

And I just got done with my 2nd bee class tonight. Interesting stuff but I think we'll have to wait until next spring to get started because we have so many things to purchase this year to get started with all of our other critters. And if there's one thing I found out through this class, its bees aint cheap!! To get started anyhow.

So wish me luck with the goatie tommorrow! I'll let you know how it turns out! :fl

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good luck finding the perfect goats for your farm :fl

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2969_ty_goat.jpg

2969_goat_car.jpg

2969_goat.jpg

Here she is!! We brought her home in the back of the jeep with a tarp under her...:gig

The lady we bought her off of was super nice! She even took the time to show us how to trim their hooves and how to milk her since we're such newbies!! I :love family farms!!

We milked her for the first time this afternoon, which went really well...until she stepped in the bucket!! :/

So question for my goaties, how often do you milk? I've heard both once a day and every 12 hours or so. Just curious about what everyone else does.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!

If you want her to reach her full capacity, then you want to milk twice a day, and get as close to 12 hours apart as you can.

If that's not as important to you right now - do what fits your schedule as long as it's once a day.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well that makes sense then every 12. I think I'm just gonna have to make it fit into my schedule. ;) The mornings that I have to go to work are gonna suck (hello REALLY EARLY morning!!) but I love having her and this is something I've wanted for a long time. Gotta take the work with the benefit too!! :)

Oh yea I almost forgot my other question!! How long do you milk?? Like until they start to not give as much??

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, you milk until she's empty basically. You'll eventually learn when she's empty and when she's not, but if you think she's empty, gently bump up on her udder with the palm of your hand and see if she lets down more milk for you. Massage, bump, massage, milk...something like that.

PS - slap some Saanan ears on her and that's what the two does I'm getting on Saturday look like! Minus the milk, though...

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Well, you milk until she's empty basically. You'll eventually learn when she's empty and when she's not, but if you think she's empty, gently bump up on her udder with the palm of your hand and see if she lets down more milk for you. Massage, bump, massage, milk...something like that.

PS - slap some Saanan ears on her and that's what the two does I'm getting on Saturday look like! Minus the milk, though...
Yea she's part la mancha and part saanan. Thanks for the info!! Hopefully next time we'll get some of it and can keep her hoof out of the bucket! :fl

I think we need to find her a buddy tho! Seems like she's getting kind of lonely!

Congrats on ur new goaties too!!!